• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating habit - think I need some reassurance please

Bumblebee Megatron

Warren Scout
Hi,

I think that I just need a bit of reassurance until I can get my little man to the vets :(

I have been in tears this morning but I may just be worrying over nothing.

Can I ask - does everyone elses bunnies go mental at feeding time? Both of mine do, always have done unless..... they are poorly :(

My lop still hasn't eaten his food and its been there since 7am :(
Normally he would have gulped it down straight away. Now, I have seen him eating the odd bit of hay but it is odd that he's left his food.

We moved 3 weeks ago which is great for them as it means they now have time outside with grass. Do you think perhaps that he maybe ate too much grass yesterday so is no longer hungry....? Or am I just wishful thinking?

:(

I'm not sure, he definitely has since last night but guess thats not much help.

I just tried to get him out for a run around but he wasn't having it at all. Wanted to stay in which is odd.

Just given him a couple of dandelion leafs which he snatched out my hand - that's a good sign.

If i was you i'd just try to get anything down him. does he seem a bit lethargic?

Deffo get him to the vets for a check over...could be the begginning of stasis or something.

i hope he feels better soon. xxx

If i was you i'd just try to get anything down him. does he seem a bit lethargic?

Deffo get him to the vets for a check over...could be the begginning of stasis or something.

i hope he feels better soon. xxx

Well he does but having said that its that time of the day when buns tend to sleep plus he's in his hutch so he always looks like that in there.

Will keep a very close eye on him as I'm off work today and will again try and get him to come out for a run around. If he refuses again will take him to the vets.

Many thanks for your help x

Hows he doing now? If he's showing intrest in eating but not eating his usual amount I'd say its more likely tobe teeth problems rather than stasis, with stasis they usually tend to refuse food all together. Either way, I think you should pop along to the vet asap really, buns not eating isn't a good thing at all.

Hope all goes well, and he is feeling better soon.

Hi,

Well I popped out earlier and when I came home I checked on him right away to discover that he'd eaten all his pellets!! This is great news and I am so chuffed. Was going to take him to the vets first thing in the morning - I think I may still do because I was thinking the same about his teeth. Poor little fella is prone to dental problems and I don't like the thought of him being in pain.

Will see how he reacts to his breakfast in the morning. Fingers crossed all ok - I HATE taking them in for dentals as its scary stuff but them not eating is far worse I guess.

Many thanks x

If he is a dental bun, I would still take him to the vets for a check up, if he was my bunny.

Well - he's eating his breakfast as I write this :D

I am still not entirely convinced that he's ok though so off to the vets we must go - it's such a mission for us now though as we have moved right across the city from our vets and neither myself or partner drives :(

We would have to get the bus (a good half hour journey) and he will be terrified so I am now worried that the journey will stress him out and make him ill - doh!

Oh, and there is a different vet who is closer but I really want to stick with my one as there are now exotic vets there and they are the only two in the whole of the city. Both whom have saved both of my buns and I do not think that either of them would be here if it wasn't for them.

Back