• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hard Black Poops

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
I've been feeding my bunnies Burns Green Oat Hay for the past couple of weeks (they had it before but only occasionally). But now their poos have gone black, a bit smaller, kind of shrivelled, and rock hard (impossible to squish to see if they're golden in the middle - believe me I've tried!)

Should I change back to Burgess Forage timothy hay so they get lovely golden poops again? Or are black poos ok?

hmmmm well my poop got darker when the oat hay changed recently (i mean eric's and esme's:oops:) but they're still a nice consistency, just not golden:?

maybe give them a mix of both? i tend to do that as eric and esme don't seem to like they same hays:roll: es has burns and alfalfa king timothy. eric has burns and some cheapo stuff he loves.

They are still a good shape and size, just a tiny bit smaller than normal. Might try mixing though thanks xx

What, and how much per day, dried food are you feeding?

They get about 10 pellets each, oodles and oodles of hay, and 3 different varieties of herb on a night :shock: I think it is the girlies' poops, Jasmine and Daphne, who are also looking very skinny :cry:

They get about 10 pellets each, oodles and oodles of hay, and 3 different varieties of herb on a night :shock: I think it is the girlies' poops, Jasmine and Daphne, who are also looking very skinny :cry:

If they have lost weight too, I would get them checked out by a vet.

The poos and the weight loss *could* be a sign of dental problems

If they have lost weight too, I would get them checked out by a vet.

The poos and the weight loss *could* be a sign of dental problems

:shock: I thought they were so skinny because they were still recovering from pulling their insides out, do you think this could be it? Think I'll ring the vets regardless

:shock: I thought they were so skinny because they were still recovering from pulling their insides out, do you think this could be it? Think I'll ring the vets regardless

It could be a number of things but I would get them checked out just to be sure.

Are they drinking enough? If you don't already, it might be worth giving them a bowl and a bottle to drink from.

It could be a number of things but I would get them checked out just to be sure.

Are they drinking enough? If you don't already, it might be worth giving them a bowl and a bottle to drink from.

They do seem to drink plenty, I'll give them a bowl as well just to be sure. I'll have a word with the vet and see what he says. They aren't really massive hay eaters, I don't think they ever had hay before I got them

Sorry I didn't have time to post yesterday, I rang my vet yesterday morning and he said he isn't worried, they are still normal weights and rabbits eat less in the summer. He says they'll be getting more exercise now we have them, and that they were massively overweight when we got them. They are all eating happily, I put them a massive amount of hay in three or four times a day, so I don't think there's anything dental going on x

Just to add a couple of my buns poos where darker, smaller etc though I could squish them apart but I wasnt happy with their appetites either (wierdly their weight was fine) and they actually had pinworms so we dosed them for that 5 days of Lapizole and a few days later they are much better so just thought if it persisted whther it may be worth speaking to your vet about worming if they havent been done of late.

Back