• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping bun inside after spay

Aimz1986

Young Bun
I have seen alot of people advising to keep rabbits inside for a couple of days after a spay.

My bun goes in for her op a week on Tues but im struggling to work out how im going to keep her inside. She usually lives in the garden and I dont really have anything suitable that she could go inside in. I have a carry box but thats really not big enough.

Has any one got any idea of temporary housing?

When Rascal had his neuter I bought a small pen from my local pet store (I think Pets At Home have them too), I put a fleece on the floor and also had his litter tray, hay manger, food/water bowls, bed and carrier in it. That way he could disapper into his carrier for a bit of privacy/sleeps if he wanted or come out and interact with us from the safety of his pen.

The pen isn't massive but I read that we're meant to dissuade them from bouncing all over the place so a small pen is ideal.

Mine is quite a tall pen so he couldn't jump over it but I've heard of people with shorter pens pegging a sheet over the top so they can't escape. I would imagine after a spey there won't be much jumping going on anyway!

You can see part of the pen on this pic but when I get to work I'll post a proper pic of the set up (they're on my work pc) to give you a better idea.

Photo0737.jpg

HTH Jo x

No. Think im gonna ask around and work and see if anyone has anything I could borrow. See if I could borrow one of those pastic indoor cages or pick up a cheap second hand one.

Thats a good idea. I love the pic of bunny, what a cutie! Ill deffo go and have a look and price up some options

Everybun is different and sometimes it works out better for the rabbit to be in their own environment when recovering.

I used to bring the rabbits in for a day or so after spay but end up finding it being more stressful in most cases and caused a greater delay in recovery. Most recently I have plumped for putting them back in their original housing and this works better in my case. I have got a bunny home from her spay yesterday, 8+ year old and never seen a vet before. Lived outside her whole life so to bring her indoors would make her even more stressed than to nurse her outside.

She has vet bed, heat pads, all sorts of foods, and I am syringe feeding very small amounts to help her tum get back on track. This coupled with pain relief seems to be working for her.

You may want to consider if just arranging her set up outside might work better for you too if you are able to 'nurse' like this.

Warmth post op is crucial, a heat source such as a heat pad is ideal as the rabbit can then choose to move away from it if they want to. Something soft to lie on like Vetbed ideal - this being why vets use it.

Monitoring should be done at regular intervals, without being too invasive - but ensuring fluids and food are taken and checking for poo and wee output vital.

Hope it all goes well.

Helen

I agree with what the Dutchess said. My vets told me to keep treacle in after her spey and she didn't eat all night and most of the next day. I was all prepared to take her to the vets again. I had left the back door open to go check the others first- she came running out (in a fashion) and went straight to the hay and started chomping. I left her outside and she was fine from then. I think she was more stressed out by the house than by the operation! She never did end up back at vets. :D Lola has loved being inside though, coz she likes coming for nose rubs and eating the wall ;)

Back