• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit bad reaction to xenex ultra, help please

foofoo

Alpha Buck
I applied xenex ultra spot on to my rabbit Archie and within an hour his skin is red raw, I've tried to clean it off with water but its not helping, its getting worse and he's very distressed, what else can I do for him? Would be grateful for any advice

I think you need to get your bunny to the emergency vet. At the very least he needs painkillers.

My bunny died from a reaction to this medication and vet error so I would definitely suggest getting help now.

This (being the localised burn reaction) is a reported problem in many rabbits, unfortunately.

Thanks for your help. Called the emergency vets, was told to give him a full dose of metacam (I have at home) and keep an ice pack on the burns and if theres no improvement to call back. He's starting to calm down a bit thankfully and is tolerating us putting the ice pack on his neck. I have never used this before and won't again its bloody awful.

Well done. I'm glad you have Metacam at home, that makes things far less stressful.

Is he eating and such?

I hope the ice pack helps. Poor bunny and poor you. What a nightmare.

He's eaten a little carrot and some of the burn on his neck is looking better, poor wee soul. Just keeping bathing the burns and putting the ice pack on at the moment. His breathing isn't as rapid as it was so fingers crossed the skin isn't as painful now.

Gosh, how awful.I think some others have put some warnings up about this product...
Perhaps you should write to the company and tell them?? I doubt its gonna be much cop, but they need to know about their Xenex Ultra.
Sending a speedy Recovery to your bunny.xxxxxx

I've use xeno 450 on my other buns with no problems, same with ivermectin injections but I wasn't aware of the reaction that xenex could have or I wouldn't have used it. It was only on him for 20mins and that happened :( You can see little cuts in his skin, just lucky that we managed to get it washed off before it did anymore damaged :(

The vet said its licensed for rabbits but I will complain. If I hadn't gone to check on him it could have been much worse. Archies more settled now and is eating but its given him and me a horrible fright.

I've use xeno 450 on my other buns with no problems, same with ivermectin injections but I wasn't aware of the reaction that xenex could have or I wouldn't have used it. It was only on him for 20mins and that happened :( You can see little cuts in his skin, just lucky that we managed to get it washed off before it did anymore damaged :(

The vet said its licensed for rabbits but I will complain. If I hadn't gone to check on him it could have been much worse. Archies more settled now and is eating but its given him and me a horrible fright.

yes xenex is differnt to both ivermetican and xeno 450 its aawful stuff chelsea had a severe reaction to it should be banned in my opinion the risksa re too high she ahd chemical burns(despite only using a few drops) all along her neck, thinking of you it took a good few weeks for burn to fade with chelsea but she was also fighting myxi at teh time so her immune system was extra low ( she survived both living to 11.5yrs)

yes xenex is differnt to both ivermetican and xeno 450 its aawful stuff chelsea had a severe reaction to it should be banned in my opinion the risksa re too high she ahd chemical burns(despite only using a few drops) all along her neck, thinking of you it took a good few weeks for burn to fade with chelsea but she was also fighting myxi at teh time so her immune system was extra low ( she survived both living to 11.5yrs)

Thank you bunlover. Chelsea sounds like she was real fighter. I don't think the burns are getting any worse but as I went to bathe his neck he ran off in an odd way just a while ago, now I'm more worried that we didn't get it all off. I can't believe this product is still being used with the reaction it can cause.

i hate this product it was marketed as a better alternative to reargaurd as reargaurd difficult to apply and not all that effective if dilute rtc but the amount of reactions we have seen to this i always push my vets not to prescribe it as often it was prescribed in buns that were unable to clean themselves as you would but we have reported 6 cases to the manufacturers since we started to stock it and as rabbit nurse in my practice i have stopped recomending it to clients. All products can cause reactions BUT this one just seems more likely than others.

Archie is doing okay today, the area where the burns are (his neck) haven't gotten any worse thankfully but its still very sore looking. I'm continuing to give him metacam so hopefully that'll will ease the pain for him.

This is the first time I've had this product to use on my rabbits, I've just started using a different vet practice so I'll be sure to let them know about other rabbits having the same reaction, I hope they won't use it anymore. My other two buns were treated with xeno 450 but they had run out so thats why they gave me xenex ultra. I'll never use it again.

Back