• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits have bread or burnt toast for a treat every now and then?

I think there are probably better things to give as treats, bread has lots of carbohydrates.

Saying that, Pipkin has stolen a bit of bread crust before and didn't come to any harm.

Yeh i think it's fine. The amount of times Fiver has ran off with a chunk of my sandwich is unreal. He always scoffs as much as he can until i catch him :roll: but he's never been ill from it :)

I'd never feed it but i noticed tonight there were a couple of slices of burnt toast thrown in for the buns at p@h

Hope so coz Charlies managed to nick it before!

His fave thing to try and steal is biscuits though:roll:

I use brown bread cut in to cubes and baked until hard in the oven as a training aid.

Works really well with scared or nervous buns, that you need to build the confidence up with.:D

They can, and probably 99% of the time it won't cause any problems, but I wouldn't do it myself unless for a special reason eg to hide meds in it, or if a bun has been off its food and literally won't eat anything else.

Luckily my buns are greedy pigs so there's plenty of healthier stuff I can use for treats/training/bonding with them, etc.

As above.

I use a piece of toast crust to help get panacur into my buns. And i also used to give it to Patch after GA to persuade her to get munching again.

As above.

I use a tiny corner of a slice of wholemeal to get Baytril into Tibbsy - she wont have it any other way!!

I believe it can slow down digestion. However, saying that Grimlock usually gets bread every day. I use it to hide medicine in and if he comes and begs me for it - by pawing at my legs in the kitchen and following me around - I usually give in. But he's a special case as he's almost died twice. :(

But soggy bread saved him once when he wasn't eating. He literally lived off it for a week when he wouldn't eat anything else.

I tried mine on a small (teaspoon size) piece each not burnt but, well done crust part but, none of them were interested, in fact they looked at me as if to say pass the fenugreek crunchie's :lol:

I used to dry bread for my bunnies in Germany, but it was sourdough bread, which gets a lot harder than toast when dry. It gave their teeth something to do. I don't give my current bunnies any bread, they all enjoy their hay, and as treats I give them hazel, dandelion and other leaves from our garden.

I wouldn't think that bread would be very suitable for a bunnies gut. I would have thought the grains would be hard for them to digest. Surely there are better, healthier options out there.

Back