• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice needed.

hunniebun

New Kit
hi, firstly was not sure where to post this question so am sorry if its in the wrong place :oops:

i have just been round to see a friend and found that she has bought 2 rabbits. while we were sitting there i saw one of them mounting the other, quite a few times actually so on closer inspection found that she has been sold one of each sex :shock: now, they have been together at least 3 weeks if not longer, needless to say they are now separated! until the boy can be castrated.
what i wanted to ask where what are the chances she is pregnant? would he still mount her if she was?
how long is gestation? and what should my friend look out for to see if she is?

the boy is around 13wks and the girls 14wks.

thanks......louise x

hi, firstly was not sure where to post this question so am sorry if its in the wrong place :oops:

i have just been round to see a friend and found that she has bought 2 rabbits. while we were sitting there i saw one of them mounting the other, quite a few times actually so on closer inspection found that she has been sold one of each sex :shock: now, they have been together at least 3 weeks if not longer, needless to say they are now separated! until the boy can be castrated.
what i wanted to ask where what are the chances she is pregnant? would he still mount her if she was?
how long is gestation? and what should my friend look out for to see if she is?

the boy is around 13wks and the girls 14wks.

thanks......louise x

it only takes once ..

Your vet would be able to tell you better if the doe is pregnant, they may even be able to perform an emergency c section and spay her at the same time. Are they definately opposite sexes? Humping can also be a sign of dominance

re:advice needed

hi, we are taking it that she is for now until we know otherwise. i just wasnt sure if the male would still mount the female if she were already pregnant. i know some animals will no matter what but some will stop as she sends out different hormone smells when preggers.

thanks...louise x

hi, we are taking it that she is for now until we know otherwise. i just wasnt sure if the male would still mount the female if she were already pregnant. i know some animals will no matter what but some will stop as she sends out different hormone smells when preggers.

thanks...louise x

no rabbits will keep at it, and the doe can end up with a larger or two separate litters at the same time :(, I would get her off to a vet

I agree with everyone else. Vets would be a good idea. And i'd also be thinking of making the doe comfortable and giving her somewhere quiet to give birth when the time comes. Also i would be taking the time to think of how to rehome the babies if the owner decides not to do the emergency c-section.

Back