• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

weight of my bunnies

cooldarls

Alpha Buck
Well after getting in from work yesterday I decided to weigh my 2 bunnies and my foster bunny (still need to get pics of him) and dont know if their weight is good or bad, so any advice or coments greatly received.

Bramble is an 18month old bunny and weighed in just over 10lb

Buddy is a 4 year old small cross bunny and weighed in 3 1/2 lb

Pixel my foster bunny is a mini lop cross and is only 5 months and weighs in just over a 1lb.

He seems very thin as when he is sitting on my knee you can feel his hip bones. He is so light weight.
If I wanted him to put on weight to a healthy weight, what is the best way of doing this. I have never had to get a bunny to put weight on before as my have always been healthy and good with the weight.

To be honest, we can't know. The best person to tell you would be your vet.

Has your foster bunny seen a vet? That weight seems very low, and its important to work out why it is so low.

I have a vets appointment tomorrow for Buddy's check up so may just ring him and add pixel to his list too. He is normally accommodating when I ask to do this.
Thanks anyhooo

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=210773&highlight=weigh

:wave:

As for putting on weight, I think it depends on why they are underweight. First, any medical reason for the weight loss needs to be ruled out, as if you try and 'feed up' a bun that has an underlying health problem (could be anything from something simply solveable like a dental spur right through to a hidden infection or cancer, for instance), you will just mask it rather than solve it.

If it is simply through lack of food provision, I would just feed slightly larger portions of existing foods. A little porridge (by which I mean maximum of a teaspoonful of porridge oats) soaked in warm water are good for weight gain and can be a tasty treat but they are high in starch so need to be given sparingly and only if the bun has been given a clean bill of health so their guts have a better chance of coping.

Good luck x

Last edited:
Back