• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ALWAYS CHECK THE MEDICATION LABELS! UD post 10- am I over reacting?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I got Badger's repeat steroid tablets yesterday, and was due to give him the first one from that batch today.

Good job I checked because they had given me tablets that were 5 times the dosage of his previous ones :shock::shock::shock::shock:

I dread to think what would have happened if I had given him one.

Off to the vets to sort this error now.

Last edited:
:shock::shock::shock:
it is lucky you checked i dont even dare imagine what would have happened if you had gave him 1 :shock::shock::shock:

:shock::shock::shock:
it is lucky you checked i dont even dare imagine what would have happened if you had gave him 1 :shock::shock::shock:

I know. If it would have killed him, I would have forever blamed myself for that.

I'm actually shaking. VERY close call.

:shock: Blummin' hell! What a big error that was!
Well done for checking, thankfully none of mine are on medication, but I'll make sure I double check next time ;)

My god thats auwful, I hope the vet has an explaination :shock::censored:

Apparently the tablets look very similar :roll: Like that's a good enough excuse.

Got the right ones now and given one.

My girlie Moon was killed by a very similar error related to overdosing. I have never forgiven myself for that, and am just so glad I managed to catch this and Badger is all in one piece and ok :D

Thank god you checked! :D

Poor Moon, I'm sure it wasn't your fault though. I bet very many people, me included, wouldn't always think to check for any prescription errors.

Spoke to our vet today. He had heard, he said that they hardly ever use the dose amount that Badger is having. He said he would flag up on the screen that Badger has 1mg. He made it sound like it was not a big deal so I felt like I had over reacted.

Have I over reacted? Is it ok to do this?

Nope, I don't think it's an over reaction. It's the vets responsibility to ensure that accurate dosage information is on the medication the prescribe. I would write a letter to the practice head and express your concerns.

of course your not over reacting your rabbit could of died if you had given him it,. dont worry you reacted in any way anothe bunny mummy would have!

so not an overreaction, I would have been livid with my vet if he'd done that and then been blasé about it! That's so rude of him to be like that with you

Spoke to our vet today. He had heard, he said that they hardly ever use the dose amount that Badger is having. He said he would flag up on the screen that Badger has 1mg. He made it sound like it was not a big deal so I felt like I had over reacted.

Have I over reacted? Is it ok to do this?

No, you have not over reacted. We have to put our complete trust in the vets to do the right thing for our pets. To be honest I am getting tired of how things are so shoddy and not done properly, and then we then feel we have to accept it as the norm. I am not pointing this at vets or anyone particularly, the whole way the world seems to be now.

After going through what you did with Moon I think you have been very composed.

Alice x

Ha, ha:lol::lol: just read through this. I have become completely middle aged. Will start mumbling about the youth of today before long:?

But, I still think you have not over reacted:wave:

Whether the tablets look the same or not, all the bottles would have the dosage clearly stated on them!
It is the vets responsibilty to match the right label to the correct tablets!

You are not over reacting at all!
It is quite worrying that the vet did not think this as serious as it is! Or maybe he is trying to cover up his error?

Thanks guys. I left feeling quite silly having mentioned it (I also mentioned a data protection issue which he also didn't see as a big deal).

He was not the one who made this error, it was one of his staff. I did wonder whether he wanted to make light to me so that I didn't kick up a right fuss, but has 'had words' behind the scenes kind of thing. I bring a lot of business their way both through my buns and recommending them to people, so possibly they want to minimise the incident.

The 'excuse' he gave me was that they very rarely use the 1mg tablets. Again, not a good enough reason. I would have been happier if they had said 'We're really sorry, we have no excuse, we just made a mistake and we will ensure it doesn't happen again', as opposed to irrelevant and weak excuses.

Thankfully there was no issue this time, so I'm not going to write a letter, but what I wanted from talking to him was for procedures to change so ensure everything is checked and double checked. Its great he has put it on Badger's file, and that it won't happen to Badger, but what if it happens to someone else's pet.

This is the first time I have ever been able to fault them because they have been brilliant with everything else.

What did he say regarding the other issue?

Such a shame he dismissed it how he did, much more professional to accept fault and apologise!

What did he say regarding the other issue?

Such a shame he dismissed it how he did, much more professional to accept fault and apologise!

He said that everyone knows I come in with people who foster (not sure where that comes from, I have gone in with one other person when she asks me to- for whatever reason- well, and you tomorrow if you want me to) and they were trying to be helpful. Felt silly about that too.

But at least I didn't feel silly about the actual reason I was there :lol:

He said that everyone knows I come in with people who foster (not sure where that comes from, I have gone in with one other person when she asks me to- for whatever reason- well, and you tomorrow if you want me to) and they were trying to be helpful. Felt silly about that too.

But at least I didn't feel silly about the actual reason I was there :lol:

Dont feel silly! They are in the wrong, you had every right to say what you did!

What did you go in for? Nothing serious I hope?? :?:?

edit - yeah come in with me tomoz! :)

Back