• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bit Puzzled-What Could The Problem Have Been?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
On Tuesday morning when I took his breakfast down to him I found that Dylan was very quiet & had no interest in his food (very unlike him). He'd eaten his hay & veges that I'd left him overnight & from what I could see had pooed & wee-d normally.
I tried to encourage him to eat & eventually got him to munch 2 dandelion leaves. I decided to leave him with his pellets/hay & recheck him in an hour.
When I rechecked him he'd eaten nothing & was laid on his side in his litter tray looking really sorry for himself so I rang the vets & whisked him down. My suspection was either stasis or an infection.

After a thorough examination (my vet is very rabbit savvy) he could find nothing obviously wrong but gave him an injection of baytril in case an infection was present along with metoclopromide in case it started affecting his tum.

After letting him resettle for an hour back home I was all set to give him some critical care mix when I find he'd eaten his pellets & had a big drink of water & was alot perkier!

The vet wanted to recheck him the day after so yesterday he went back for another injection of baytril & metoclopromide as although heaps better he was still a bit quieter than normal.
The vet simply can't give a diagnosis leaving me confused!
His tum was fine so not stasis, if it was an infection he is unclear why Dylan has perked up so quickly so the only thing he can suggest is either heart related (although he listened to his heart & couldn't hear anything untoward - obviously it was going fast as he's in the vets!) or neurological - but obviously I didn't see what & if anything had happened to finding him like I did so I am puzzled!

Any suggestions anybody? Today he's out binkying & leaping in the air.
The only obvious thing that has been different lately is he's been moulting & digging out his litter from his litter tray - apart from that nothing has changed in his routine/diet.

It sounds like maybe he was in the beginning stages of stasis and the first shot of gut stimulant sorted the problem.

Moulting can be very draining on buns and of course there is always the risk of blockages caused by the excess fur ingested. This heat can also slow guts down.

Glad hes ecovering well :D

I would say it was possibly the oulting. I blockage or maybe he was just full up of fur. My Fiver did that, wouldnt eat his hay, kept flopping down and looking extremely sorry for himself. I gave him some pineapple, which he ate rather quickly, and he was fine within 15 mins :)

I think you did really well to get him to the vets as quickly as you did. It could have led onto something alot more sinister if you hadn't acted so quickly :)

Yes I think it's too coincidental to not be related somehow to his moulting. Yes I've been trying him with pineapple juice but he hates it - so much so that even adding it to his water makes him turn his nose up!!!

Now I've got another problem! To make sure he was drinking enough whilst he was under the weather I popped a bowl of water in with him aswell as his normal bottle. Now he doesn't want to go back to drinking out of his bottle! So his bowl is still in with him as I don't want him not drinking.
How can I persuade him to go back to his bottle whilst still making sure he drinks?!

Can you not just leave the bowl for him instead of the bottle?
My bunnies much prefer a bowl and tend to drink more:D

Back