• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you speak Rabbit?

KoShiatar

Mama Doe
My doe, Maia, is quite skittish and always alert. She doesn't like being touched except on her own terms, and every time I go near her and she's not flopped, she tries to get away.
However I can see it's just her personality, because she knows how to ask for something. The problem is, I don't know what it is!
When I'm working at my desk, she often nudges my feet with her head, pulls at my trousers' edge and even tries to climb my legs. But when I give her attention, she just scuttles away. She surely doesn't want cuddles because she rarely concedes that, and I don't think she's asking for food because she's not anywhere near her bowls or litter (where she gets her hay). Maybe she wants out, but she knows all too well that I don't want her to get out of her room unless invited, although she always tries to.
So what do you want, little Attila?

Have you tried giving her attention at her level? Most buns will love headrubs but they like you to get on the floor with them rather than the other way around.

Buttercup was skittish when I first got him - he's still not as brave as the others now, but he likes it if I lie on the floor and just let him explore me, without me moving. He is much more forthcoming now, and even occasionally asks for noserubs!

if i could talk bunny id ask Holly WHY she pees on my bed :lol::lol:

sounds to me like your bun wants attention but gets abit scared when you lean over her to fuss her.

Alvin bites my trousers to tell me to shift not when he wants fuss :roll:

My Ruby is exactly the same. She gets entertainingly annoyed by being stroked (even on her level) and she shakes her head every time I stroke her as if to say "get OFF me!!" She knows how to beg for food, so it's not that either. She doesn't want much contact but she does like watching me and I watch her. When I'm at my desk she comes up to my trouser legs and starts digging them/pulling on them/nibbling them. I am endlessly fascinated by her and don't mind at all that she doesn't want the affection, but it would be nice to know what she does want!

Sounds to me like at least part of it is that she wants you to get out of the way :lol: Buns tend to nudge or scrabble at things that are in their way so she may have decided that she doesn't like your legs where you decide to put them :lol: I don't think it's unusual for buns to lean up your legs etc without 'wanting' anything in particular, they're just nosey, if you watch them running around they will often go up to a box, wall, tub, etc and do the same thing. They don't want anything from that inanimate object, they are just having a nosey.

To encourage her to be more friendly and less skittish, I would hold some of her favourite food in your hand and lie down on the floor and let her feed from your hand. With a lot of time and patience you should be able to get her to relax nearer to you as she associates you with nice things like tasty treats! Good luck x

My Nutmeg has been known to stick her head and body up my pj trouser leg. :roll: She's so nosey.

Sounds like attention but, at her level as someone else said, try lying on the floor and let her come to you, you need to spend at least an hour a day with her (quality time) even if she just sits and looks at you while you stroke her regularly if she is single. Does she have toys? When she nudges you, if your busy you could set up a little obstacle course of tunnels and tents (old cardboard boxes will do) hide some treats in the box under hay etc

Back