• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Damson and VHD transferrable reaction? (and vibes)

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you may recall that Dason (who only has one kidney now) had a very bad VHD vaccine reaction a couple of months ago and we thought we would loose him.

Well yesterday we had his partner bun (Willow) vaccinated and although she is fine he is now exhibiting exactly the same symptoms again (listlessness, total lack of appetite, slight fever etc etc) .

I know that you are not meant to give VHD within 2 weeks of myxi, AND that my vet will not give VHD to one rabbit if the its partner is having myxi -
and now I am wondering if the vaccine is so live that it has transferred itself across to Damson somehow even though he was perfectly well and didn't have any jabs himself???

The annoying thing is I did ask the vet that did it whether it might be able to affect Damson and they said no - but now I am really wondering.

he is really listless and unwell and on all the full meds we can give.:(

PS we have split them anyway as we ned to keep him apart to moniter poos and any food intake (none at present except syringed :()

How bizarre :? Was it lapinject or cylap?

Hope the little chap picks up quickly x

Oh no! Vibes for the little man

Could he have eaten Willow's caceotrophs? (Don't know if there'd be any traces of the vaccine in them? :?

It shouldn't do - it's inactivated so it's basically dead virus and the body only gives an immune response to the virus particles itself not to the fact that they are multiplying. So even in the unlikely event of anything being 'shed' by her, it should be dead anyway. Did he go to the vets with her or stay at home when she went?

stayed at home. they often spend time separate - due to hi having had so many problems in the last year - and they never have difficulties or stress with that

If its inactivated why are you not meant to have a bun have a vhd jab if it lives with another bun who has a myxi jab at the same time?

If its inactivated why are you not meant to have a bun have a vhd jab if it lives with another bun who has a myxi jab at the same time?

Dunno...I've never heard that advice before! As far as I can see it doesn't say that on either of the datasheets either :?

Maybe it's that the 'dead' virus can be excreted and can therefore cause an immune response in other 'in contact' rabbits in much the same way but smaller as if they had received a dose of the vaccine themselves? I'm guessing though as it's not advice I've heard before.

Edit: looking at the datasheets, the myxo vaccine is live (shope fibroma virus) and it warns that the virus may spread to susceptible in-contact rabbits, so I would guess that the risk is more that live shope virus would cause a problem with a bun that has just had the VHD vaccine (and whose immune system is therefore already working overtime to deal with that), rather than the other way round.

I am guessing though. *calling Marie or Rodneyvet!*

Last edited:
that makes sense .

But I am still mystified as to why he is having exactly the same response as before - although slightly less thank goodness. Its very different to his 'normal' gut twinges which he gets because of the post-op effects of the kidney removal (though because he has not eaten due to the lassitude etc he has also got some gut twinges . . . . :roll:).

Back