• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it ok ......

Bitzy

Mama Doe
.. for bunnies to sit on wet paving or grass?? :?

Its been throwing it down here today and I've come home from work to find both bunnies sitting in the wet!

Dizzi has proper sprawled out (not quite flopping) and looks like she's going to fall asleep.

Will they catch cold (or whatever the bunny equivalent is) if they do this??!

Also .... those of you with covered runs - what do you cover them with? I thought about putting perspex on top but figured when its hot, that will make it worse.

cheers, Jo x

If they have the option to go somewhere dry if they want to I don't think it is a problem them choosing to sit in the wet as it is warm - unless they are elderly or already poorly in any way.

I have my run and aviary covered with corrolux (corrugated plastic) it comes in clear or slightly opaque - when its hot I just pop an old duvet cover over to provide shade - its sloped and has a good overhang to help the rain run off.

Ahh right, that's ok then .... yeah they have the option of sitting in their hutch either upstairs or downstairs when it rains.

I wonder if I could get something similar to what you have to cover part of the run when it rains .... I couldn't have it permanently fixed as the run lid folds back on itself but I could put it on and maybe weight it down if it looked like rain!?!

Mine are out in the rain so i hope they are okay too. Only one side of the run is covered, and they are happy to go in the side that is not covered whilst it's throwing it down with rain and thundering. Not the least bit phased.

Ambience xx

Ahh right, that's ok then .... yeah they have the option of sitting in their hutch either upstairs or downstairs when it rains.

I wonder if I could get something similar to what you have to cover part of the run when it rains .... I couldn't have it permanently fixed as the run lid folds back on itself but I could put it on and maybe weight it down if it looked like rain!?!

Yes my husband made a frame and fixed the corrolux to it like a second lid (theres a wire top on the run) the back is higher so the rain runs forward and off, then I can lift the whole solid roof off to get to the wire lid should I need to for cleaning etc.

I think its fine but I don't like seeing my bunny with soggy paws so in weather like this I cover their run fully with a tarpaulin sheet (with the front open - in bad weather I drape a shower curtain over to cover the front and fold it back when its only light rain. I put corrugated platic on top and weigh it down with bricks...I also pin the bottom of the tarp down with bricks...it does the job put is a pain in the ass to take it all off and then put it all back on again :lol:

I have a wire roof on the run and I keep it covered with white plastic - held down with sticky velcro on the plastic and drawing pins on the wood part. If it is really sunny, I peel the plastic back and cover with a white cotton sheet for shade and a breeze. Have been caught out though a few times when it has been hot and then rained. They shelter in the shed then but it means I have a load of wet hay to muck out!! :shock: I wish there was something that was waterproof, clear to let in light, but not turn the run into a greenhouse in hot weather!!

I'm in N Ireland though so not as hot here as on the mainland!:roll:

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful.

As a temporary measure I covered part of the run with an old shower curtain and weighted it down with bricks but the wind has been terrible here and I woke at just after 4am (someone's wheelie bin was blowing down the road).... went to look at the bunnies from the back bedroom window ......and the shower curtain had come loose and was flapping all over the place and freaking them out (well, I thought they may be freaked out but once I got downstairs Rascal was flopping and Dizzi was having a wash so they couldn't have been that scared).

So anyway I've taken the shower curtain off again and now its throwing it down and Dizzi's sat halfway down the run in it!! :roll: :?

Really need to get a solution sorted this weekend!

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful.

As a temporary measure I covered part of the run with an old shower curtain and weighted it down with bricks but the wind has been terrible here and I woke at just after 4am (someone's wheelie bin was blowing down the road).... went to look at the bunnies from the back bedroom window ......and the shower curtain had come loose and was flapping all over the place and freaking them out (well, I thought they may be freaked out but once I got downstairs Rascal was flopping and Dizzi was having a wash so they couldn't have been that scared).

So anyway I've taken the shower curtain off again and now its throwing it down and Dizzi's sat halfway down the run in it!! :roll: :?

Really need to get a solution sorted this weekend!

I'm using a groundsheet from the pound store covering half the run- i've just ordered some bigger ones online. They are waterproof and cover up half the run to protect from rain, then a shower curtain around the half of the run that is not covered- i use the hooks to peg it onto the run, again from the pound store. The curtain does get holes in, so no good for wet weather cover though. It does let light in however.

Ambience x

Thanks ........ well I've just been out there to towel dry both bunnies as they were soaking .... and re-attach the shower curtain, which does work quite well when its stays put (its quite a heavy duty one).

The hutch and run are against a wall so I can't reach right across the run to the other side ...... so as I was fighting with the shower curtain to keep it down .... I also had to use an old 'wonder mop' to push the bricks (weights) to the side of the run that I couldn't reach ....... put 9 on altogether so that should keep it secure ..... then I realised I'd left a bag of hay in the run so had to open the gate without lifting the lid and undoing all my good work and crawl back into the run to retrieve the hay. (I just hope no neighbours were watching).

So, my hair ended up a big wavy mess (so much for straightening it beforehand and using my hood), my trousers were soaking mess .......and the bunnies still sat in the uncovered part of the run!!!

Typical!!

Back