• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shocked (photo's may distress some people)

rngpwelfare

Mama Doe
This is Amaryllis she was adopted from us at the end of 2008 to be a partner to a rabbit the owners had already adopted from us earlier that year.

Well she has now been returned due to a marriage breakdown.

This is what I found when I took her out of the pet carrier on Saturday, :shock::cry:

I didn't recognize her to start of with, she's just skin and bone :censored:

Amaryllis.jpg

amaryllis1.jpg

Amaryllis3.jpg

Amaryllis2.jpg

She weighed 1.22kg on Sunday but has been steadily increasing in weight since then last night weighing 1.50kg. Mainly due to the fact they haven't stopped eating.:)
Even more shocking is that they have been house rabbits, how can you stave a rabbit that's living in your house :censored:

This is what she looked like when she left me in 2008

Amaryllis1.jpg

Amaryllis.jpg

She was 7 months old in these pictures.

I'm hoping that we can get her back up to full health soon and that there is no lasting damage.

All I can say it is thank goodness they brought her back when they did.

Last edited:
:shock: Oh my goodness, you can really see her spine in the first pic. What happened to the other rabbit they had? I hope she can get to a nice healthy weight soon and will find another home shortly, it's so sad that she can have gotten into that state, especially from someone who must have had such good intentions to begin with, seeing as they chose to rescue... poor bunny. she is really gorgeous though :love:

How awful! :cry:

She is so, so thin. :cry: :cry:

Poor, poor girl - she reminds me of my Hollie..... it must hurt that much more when a trusted adopter does this ...... I bet it really upset you.

I know she will thrive in your care now and am sending her many recovery vibes and I hope she gets a lovely new home again in the future where she will be spoilt rotten. She's a beautiful rabbit. I don't understand people at all. Why would you let things get that bad to the point it has become real neglect?! She's lucky to be alive I guess with their fragile dietary systems.

*Goes off to cuddle my own rabbits*

That's awful :(. I feel like a starve mine especially in the summer but they have the garden to eat, hay 24:7 and bowl of veggies at night and they continue to maintain a healthy weight. How is it possible to starve a bun when all you have to do is put a big box of hay out for them?

How could people let that happen?! :cry:
Tracy I am so sorry, you must feel so gutted. But at least you have her back now to take fab care of her and get her back to a healthy bunny.

*Plans to take in treats for the Fun Day*

or actually.....to bunnynap!!! :lol::lol:

Where's her husbun now?

Dickory came back in with her, but isn't in the state she's in, although is on the slender side for a dutch.
He isn't bullying her with food though so I really think that it's down to them not being fed. Especially as she's putting it on here.

That is disgraceful.:censored: Thank goodness there are good people out there like yourself. :D

What an awful state she's in. The fact that she's gaining weight easily proves that they chose not to feed her:cry:
Where's her husbun?

Thats awful how cold anyone do that to her:censored:
Glad you have her back now so you can give her the care she actuall needs:D
Gorgeous bunny:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

So sorry to hear about the this bunny :( I know she will get the care she needs and deserves with you xx * Lots of vibes for her***

Ambience xx

Jeez! I'm amazed that someone bothers to go through an adoption process rather than just buying one from a pet store, and then fails to care for it properly. Surely you know that you could be contacted by the rescue society at any time and asked for information/photographs etc. I don't know how you can be civil to these people Tracy, honestly I don't. I hope she puts on plenty of weight - just send her to me - all my bunnies seem to end up 'well covered' :lol::lol::lol:

I cannot believe someone would adopt a RESCUE rabbit and then NEGLECT them so badly. :cry::cry: If I were a rescue, I would never be able to rehome my buns...... because I could never trust anyone enough. This situation would be my worst fear :( :(

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

She looks so much like my Tinky it's almost like looking at pictures of her in a neglected state. :cry:

I can't believe people can take bunnies from a rescue and not be totally committed to making up for anything they've gone through in the past. It must be so hard for you to see her in that state. Poor, poor bubba :cry::cry:

How awful the photos of how she was and how she is now just have me in tears, how can you not feed something so precious it's heartbreaking :cry::cry:

Poor wee mite :(

I dont understand how you can negate to feed a house rabbit, they need fresh hay every day otherwise they smell - if that isn't enough incentive then I don't know what is, aside from their welfare of course :roll:

I'm glad she's back with you now :love: Did you say anything to her?

Back