• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To bond or not to bond? HELP please x

Louise G

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, I have a rescued continental giant (Godzilla) who is 4 and un neutered. The vet said he would not risk operating on him to neuter as 4 is considered a good age for a giant although he is only half the size he should be and acts like a young bunny.

Rabbit 2: Flossie- large mixed breed rabbit about 3.5kg (half his weight) and is spayed. She escaped one day and got into the garden (which she normally has the free run of) while Godzilla was out and while I tried to catch her he was very interested and showed no aggression and she nastily jumped on his head and scratched his eye and he did not fight back atall. I caught her and they have not been together since.

Godzilla has a lovely nature and is not aggressive but lonely. Flossie is lovely to people but nervous with rabbits and lonely also. I know her escaping was not ideal because she attacked him on her territory but Im so worried she would hurt him if introduced neuturally. Also if he tried to mount her could he injure her? Godzilla had awfully sore feet from spending his life on wire and we have bathed and nursed him back to health but he is so interested in any animal and I really want him to have a friend and some company to enjoy the rest of his life with.

any opinions gratefully recieved thanks :) x

I'd find a bunny savvy vet who would neuter Godzilla and then bond. I'd not even contemplate bonding an unneutered rabbit personally.

We recently had a nine year old boy successfullly neutered and tomorrow one our buns for adoption, who is anywhere between 8-12 is going to be spayed. She's a nethie so it could present the opposite kind of problems to a big boy.

There are always risks with a GA, but it's got to be worthwhile as your boy could live for many more years to come and it would be nice for him to have company of his own kind.

Thankyou :). My main problem is finding a rabbit savvy vet in my area as I don't drive. Im worried he might die under the anesthetic and a rabbity lady by me said to not risk it and keep him on his own to live out his days but Im a strong believer they need company and my other buns are neutered and paired up. x

I have two bonded pairs and neither boy is neutered. They are both complete gentlemen and once they realised my girlies would not be mounted they haven't bothered trying since. Whilst bonding if they persistantly humped (only one really did this) I just gently moved him off her and he soon got the message. I would personally try it and see how it goes. If he is humping a lot and causing her to fight him off then get him done and try again a few months down the line. Your girly sounds like she wont be scared to assert herself so i'm sure she'll be fine. I find its the girls hurting the boys that you have to watch out for.

Thankyou :). My main problem is finding a rabbit savvy vet in my area as I don't drive. Im worried he might die under the anesthetic and a rabbity lady by me said to not risk it and keep him on his own to live out his days but Im a strong believer they need company and my other buns are neutered and paired up. x

Where are you Louise, we may be able to recommend a good vet for you. Sure there would be a way to get your boy to a good vet, even if it means a kind soul doing a taxi service for you.

If your boy is otherwise in good health then I don't think that the risk is massive. A boy neuter is really quite straight forward and can be done very easily by an experienced vet with a good GA protocol.

The Dutchess- I live in Derby :)

Mrs Ord- Thats what I am worried about, the big boy getting hurt. He is such a gentle soul and I think he would do as hes told and not persistantly try to mount her but I don't know if its mean to risk a fight and try to bond them at all :S But I would love for them to live together and have someone to snuggle with but is that me being mean? I don't know what to do

thankyou both so much for all your time and advice x

:oops: I spoke too soon!! Jasper has become a little humpy monster :oops:

:shock::shock:

she may have attacked him because she knew she was on his territory? It's worth a try, every bun is different and as long as you watch them like a hawk you can separate them straight away if you need to

Back