• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DIY hutch/run

Michelle_stt

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone.

As we now have 3 bunnies. I'd love to build a hutch/run big enough for all 3. Iv seen some brilliant ones on here! We currently have Bella & Edward in a large 2 tier hutch, Jakey is in a smaller hutch as he is a baby.

They have the run of downstairs aswell as supervised runs round the garden. (we live near the countryside so dont want any birdies looming!).

Does anyone have any guides they followed and materials etc?

Iv TOLD my hubby that he is going to B and Q next week to build me one :p

This thread talks about fox proof wire mesh, which gague to use, take a look

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=233638&highlight=proof+wire+mesh

Also for the runs attached to my sheds I had made using 2x2 wood and all runs are on paving slabs to stop digging in and digging out.

Have you considered buying a shed, it might work out cheaper. I gave a joiner measurements for a custom made run I wanted for a spare hutch I have but it would have been better value to buy a hutch and run than have it custom made with material costs so I gave it up as a bad idea.

Last edited:
As you've got three rabbits what about a shed or a wendy house with an attatched run? It will probally work out cheaper than building hutch that is big enough for three :)

For sure! Ive spent just over £100 on my hutches & run & its still not big enought really.....a shed or big dog kennel is great.... wendy houses are good too -but not keen o n the plastic ones cause they get too hot..

Plus with a shed - you can add shelevs for storing their bales of hay etc & also add shelves for hoping on & you can STAND inside!:roll::lol:
You could also put your current hutches inside with their doors taken off & then just add a run for outside - would be perfect! Thats what i wanna do eventually.....:p

Back