• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone used a plastic hutch?

tintin

Alpha Buck
Somene has given us a plastic hutch. We don't really need it at the moment, and it's too small as an everyday hutch for our two rabbits anyway, but I was wondering if it would be suitable to use in the winter. On really cold nights they could go in the plastic hutch in the garage. It's light and easy to move and would be easy to cover with blankets etc.

Anybody used plastic hutches? Do rabbits like/dislike them? Do they chew them? Alternatively, I will just put it in the run as a little house to play in.

Haven't used one but don't like them to be honest.

Despite having a mesh front, they just don't 'breath' in the way that wooden ones do. I think this was the fatal floor in the Eglu design (apart from being too small, too expensive, etc etc.) I don't see why it couldn't be used as a play house in a run but not my choice for permanent accommodation. Most of the plastic ones I've seen are too small for main housing too.

What do you think about the one you have been given?

Never had one personally but I often wondered would they get hot inside in the summer months?? as a play hut guess it would be ok but not to live in.

Haven't used one but don't like them to be honest.

Despite having a mesh front, they just don't 'breath' in the way that wooden ones do. I think this was the fatal floor in the Eglu design (apart from being too small, too expensive, etc etc.) I don't see why it couldn't be used as a play house in a run but not my choice for permanent accommodation. Most of the plastic ones I've seen are too small for main housing too.

What do you think about the one you have been given?

yeah - agreed - doesnt breahte....would poss get abit stifling......hot in summer & stuffy in winter....
SCould just be used in their run - but make sure they dont lie there on hot days "thinking" this is the cool shady bit....my girls were insistent the other day when it was really hot that it was cooler in their hutch - behind some plastic!:roll: they eventually got the idea of the frozen water bottles & the run with a breeze!:lol:

I used them for years and years for my buns and GP's and never had a problem. Other than them being too small. They are very easy to keep clean which is a bonus, as they can just be hosed down :)

Would they not get condensation inside making them cold in winter, but be too hot in summer? I don't know, have never had one, but don't like the idea of them for some reason.

Back