• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sneezing? and not just the rabbit

thebadfairy

Young Bun
Hi, over the past few weeks I have noticed my rabbit making funny noises (I think its sneezing) and one time she did it when I was holding her some stuff came out her nose which was kind of dark green. I have also noticed some of my degus doing the same thing. Also the rabbit gets a runny nose when we go in the car. Is this normal?

This sounds like it could be 'snuffles' or a respirtory infection, I would get them all down to the vets ASAP.

thanks for your reply rachylou
what would a vet need to do? All my degus are rescues, one of them can not be handled at all and one is very difficult to handle.
Apart from this they are all fine - eating, drinking, pooing and weeing normally.

Antibiotics are probably the way forward. But you will need a rabbit savvy vet and a degu savvy vet too! Just to find out exactly whats wrong.

I would get them all to the vet ASAP, personally.

Have you tried a towel to hold the crazy dagu? I had a mouse years ago who needed meds and the only way to get him to let us give it to him was by holding him in a towel.

Good luck and let us know how you go:)

Any ideas how much all that is likely to cost? I am currently unable to work as I have ME. Also have a major problem with actually getting to a vets as it would have to be on my own by bus.
I did the towel thing with the slightly problamatic one on the weekend as they had a fight and I had to clean a bite on his nose. He bit me on the joint of my finger and am still in a lot of pain so do not wish to repeat this. The other one strangely is more than happy to climb all over me but freaks out as soon as he realises he can not move - he goes very stiff and squeals and will bite hard on whatever he can find.

If it's snuffles they really need to be seen quickly. I have ME too so I know how the cost can stack up but my Nutmeg has an ongoing wheezy chest from snuffles that she had before we got her. In theory the cost would probably not be too high (ie not the £150 I had to pay out recently!) - consult and some anti-biotics, maybe a swab to check which anti-b's are needed. I'm not very up on this so maybe someone else could help.

If they are ill - is it something they would have caught? The only other animals they have been near are 2 dogs but they didn't actually have contact with them, they were just in the same room. I don't have anything to take the rabbit in as I normally just carry her wrapped in a baby blanket. Would be impossible to take them all at once so it would take 3 trips which would be 13 buses!

I would call your vet and ask what they recommend, personally I would take the rabbit first as it does sound quite serious if there is actually dark green stuff coming out of the nose, I dont know about degus but I know bunnies can go down hill VERY fast!
Have you got a cardboard box that you could make some holes in?

I have to admit, it was actually a few weeks ago that I saw stuff come out her nose and the sneezing is no worse now than it was then.

Honestly if it has been going on for a few weeks then I would class it as urgent that you seek veternairy attention, if it is snuffles it could be quite advanced by now.

Even though she has no other problems?

:wave: I rescued a bun from someone, now although what she has sounds different to what your bun has, she is still poorly and will be for the rest of her life. I will explain...

She has severe pneumonia, and her last owners did not take her to the vet, my VERY rabbit savvy vet thinks she has had pneumonia for at least a few months. She will probably always need tablets to help her breath, will never be able to live outside (not that I want her to!) and at the moment we are just trying to get her to put on weight:cry: Watching her if she gets stressed trying to breath is heart breaking:cry: My vets long term aim is to get her well enough to neuter her, his words "whats the point of getting her through this just for her to die of uterine cancer."

So yes your bun can live for a while with an illness, but it is awful to put anything through that:cry:

Please,please get her to a rabbit savvy vet asap.

oh and the rabbit I told you about is Tulip in my siggy:love:

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am just going to look for a local vets which is on a bus route and will ring first thing tomorrow to see I can get an appointment for Monday.
She is like my baby and I really don't want her to suffer.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am just going to look for a local vets which is on a bus route and will ring first thing tomorrow to see I can get an appointment for Monday.
She is like my baby and I really don't want her to suffer.

:D Good luck, and have you a photo:lol:

Thought I would try ringing now and luckily they were open so she is booked in for 2.20 on monday. I think we have the box she came in, though I have only put her in it once since because she hated it. She much prefers being able to see what is going on. She is the bunny in my picture. She is my one and only! Apart from my cheeky boys (the degus)

Oh she looks so sweet:love:

Feegal hates going to the vet too, luckily the rest of mine aren't too fussed:)

Have you thought of discussing vaccinations and spaying with your vet too? I am just guessing she hasn't had them, sorry if I am wrong. Its just I know how much they mean to us, and I would hate to lose them:(

Yeah, we had talked about getting her vaccinated and spayed and now my b/f has a job (therefore a bit more money) I will go ahead with sorting it all out (he only started on Monday though so haven't actually got any money yet!). For the spaying we were reccomended a vets a bit further away so will have to work out how to get her there as my b/f leaves the house at 8 to get to work and doesn't get home until about 5.30.

p.s. yes she is very sweet - she licks my nose when I say 'kisses' and if she is in the right mood she will snuggle with me and the duvet on the sofa for ages. She hasn't actually been to the vets before but we do travel with her a fair bit as we often visit family at weekends and she always comes along. She is very good when travelling so I will probably put her harness on and wrap her in her pink princess blanket as normal but will take a box as well just in case.

Last edited:
Fantastic:D Good luck with the new job b/f:)

Definitely stick around here and have a read of all the info on rabbit care, this is the best place to learn how to look after buns really well. I know Feegal must be glad I found here, as he loves his rescue wife, (apart from when she steels his food:roll:) and is so much healthier/happier:D

Do let us know how she gets on:)

Will have a good look around the website - it beats writing my dissertation!
At the moment he is loving the job, its his first 'proper' job and he really needed it! Not just for the money but because he finished uni in May and had been stuck at home since then. The only problem is that now I'm still stuck home but am on my own with just the animals.
We did consider getting her a husbunny but it would make travelling even more difficult and she gets loads of attention anyway with me being at home. Might reconsider it though after we have moved as I will hopefully have a job then too!
Just had a thought though - I am presuming it will be ok to take her on the bus as they allow dogs?

Back