• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

people with sheds/kennels please share your cleaning out routine

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Soon we will have new buns in a new kennel/run. My last two buns were kept in a hutch/run combination with the sleeping chamber of the hutch used as their litter, which was really easy to clean out as I had two litter trays in there. The hutch sat inside a permanent run.

I'm not yet sure of the best way to approach litter training the new buns and cleaning out of the new run/kennel. These new buns will be fed mainly on hay & herbage with very few pellets.

I'd like tips on cleaning out/feeding and litter training please.
:D

Thanks,

Jo.

I still have litter trays in both the shed and the run. Litter trays are cleaned out every two days (daily in hot weather) and the shed/run is swept daily. Luckily, mine are clean and do most of their poops in their trays so there's not much to sweep up other than a few stray poops and hay.

ETA - sorry - forgot to mention litter training. I'd place litter trays in each corner initially and make sure there's some hay in them as they do like to 'poo and chew'. If you can put some soiled litter in the trays then that'll encourage them to use the trays rather than the floor. Sometimes, despite your best efforts, the bunnies will choose their own poop corner so if that's the case, I'd keep putting a tray in their chosen place.

As for feeding, mine are on mainly hay and veg with very limited amounts of pellets (just as a treat really).

Last edited:
I do spot letter trays daily and complete disinfect weekly. Then the usual weekly clean and change all over. I have one tray in run and one in shed area.
ETA I had 3 but removed one as they never used it, food they're feed hay 24hrs, veg once a day (teatime) and very small amount pellets a.m.

I still have litter trays in both the shed and the run. Litter trays are cleaned out every two days (daily in hot weather) and the shed/run is swept daily. Luckily, mine are clean and do most of their poops in their trays so there's not much to sweep up other than a few stray poops and hay.
As for feeding, mine are on mainly hay and veg with very limited amounts of pellets (just as a treat really).

My routine is pretty much the same as this except they have a shelf lined with news papaer and hay too. They dont usually tend to wee on this and so I change it once or twice a week depending on the weather.

When I first got my shed I put the litter trays in the corners that I wanted them, Dutchie moved them to where he wanted them, I moved them back etc to the point where I gave up. Your rabbits will probably let you know where they want their trays. Albert and Evie did a similar thing when they got their shed too regardless of the fact that one of them is now where I need to stand to get into the shed :roll:

I have two litter trays in the shed part, and another in the run. All 3 are emptied, cleaned and refilled daily. The rest of the place doesn't get too dirty; I pick up stray poops daily and sweep/disinfect the floor once a week. :)

I have a 4ft double hutch inside the shed. Inside the hutch there is hemcore bedding, and inside the bedroom part there is a blanket. In the shed there is no floor bedding and a litter tray which is a big underbed storage box, filled with newspaper, hemcore and hay. The buns do all their wees and most of their poops here, so the hutch gets cleaned out once every 2 weeks, and daily sweep ups of the shed floor.

Back