• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Please

jody

Alpha Buck
Turnip went to the vets today for his first myxi jab :D The vet gave me some rearguard, Do i use it? dont like chemicals? whats peoples opinion?

I've never used it, however, I would only use it on a vulnerable rabbit. That is my opinion only though, for my rabbits.

Did he say why he gave it to you?

yes he explained why, and said its high season for fly strike etc etc. I dont want to put my bun at risk, although he is a house bunny and kept very clean.

But at the same time i dont like to use chemicals unless needed:?:?:?

IMO if he is a house bun, cleaned regually, has no weight/ mobility issues then it is not necerssary. But that is my opinion only!
I used rearguard on Jimby once and it made him very ill, so I would not use it again.

I used it recently on our two outside rabbits with seemingly no ill effects. But it was when it was very hot recently and I started worrying about flystrike.

I don't think I would bother with an inside rabbit as you just won't have as many flies around and you can deal with them as and when they appear.

if he isa house rabbit then i dont think it is necessary.
i only used it on one of mine (he is old, arthritic and sometimes gets diarrhoea)
the others keep them selves clean, and i obviously keep there hutches clean too.
if you decide not to use it ask for a refund. a bottle is about £30!

I guess he charged you for this?! Seems silly to give something to a bunny without reason for needing it.

i wouldn'y use it personally if he has no health issues it can cause reactions and inappetance and if he's indoors and kept clean i would tend to go for deterrents like citronella and fly nets

Back