• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just taken another call...............to give up rabbit

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
yet another lady wanting to give up yet another rabbit.

Baring in mind I don't advertise that I rescue and don't have a web site etc - I've had 5 calls now in the last 10 days or so. I am full up already and have a waiting list (and they are all females!)

In this instance, lady took rabbit from a friend who's daughter had the rabbit and who had just left home and the rabbit was left behind.

So the lady I spoke to says she agreed to take it (her?) in. Then they found out that their daughter is allergic so the rabbit was put outside, but the rabbit doesn't like it and keeps trying to come back in doors.

Are you keeping up with this? :roll:

Q) So how old is the rabbit A) "about 10 months old"

So, already this poor mite, who is unvaccinated or neutered of course, will have had two homes already in her short life and possibly rehomed to anyone who will take her.

I can't help immediately so have tried to be helpful by asking for more details to keep on file, and have suggested more things she can try for herself to rehome including other rescues, with a warning that they too will most likely have a waiting list.

When asked if I could send her some info, she says they haven't got internet as the rabbit chewed the cables.

Hopefully she won't do anything silly but she really did think we'd just take her immediately.

Have any of you other rescues had any similar stories in the past few weeks, is it just me or does it seem that there is a trend for bunnies being given up because the kids have finished school and are no longer bothered and mum sees an endless summer ahead with her having to do the cleaning out? Or do you think people are dumping them ahead of going on their vacations, not wanting to provide care or boarding while they are gone?

I'd love to know what your experiences are please rescues.

This all just seems so much worse than this time last year.

Last edited:
I've got no advice and not a rescue so no experience or anything but i really feel for the poor bunny - and all the others like it. It's sooo sad.

:cry:

I've got no advice and not a rescue so no experience or anything but i really feel for the poor bunny - and all the others like it. It's sooo sad.

:cry:

I know, it's dreadful that we can't help all of them, which is why something needs to happen to stop rescues being so necessary.

This little girl is a blue/grey mini lop apparently - if anyone local is interested in taking her on, then please let me know.

:(

Yep - at work we have seen this with cats and dogs too! Lots of PTS on dogs that are old (but in reasonable health) and the owners admit they don't want to wait until after holiday or take their dog with them!

Had one woman who wants us to rehome her rabbit as her German Shepherd keeps threatening her. I offered to go round to discuss options with her further. When I got there, I discovered she has 2 rabbits (entire male and female) in separate hutches but the dog "doesn't bother the male"! The female is seriously obese! :cry: She clearly loves the male and doesn't want to part with him.
When I suggested getting them both neutered and bonding them (offered to help her with this) her answer was, "I don't have the money. I just spent £500 on the dog. Please just take her!"

It takes a lot of strength not to get too angry or upset by the whole situation doesn't it? It's terrifying! :cry:

2 rescues down here we only really have one that takes bunnies the other one mainly takes cats and dogs, but due to pressure started taking small animals,

Cat protection here have there own half page in the local rag every week lost and found, and info,

The newspaper have just started in the classified section, put details of the needs of dogs and think before you buy.

One rescue are turning people away only for the owners to come back and dump the pets in the car park :( , they are having to put to sleep animals with health issues because they cant afford to pay for treatments for them :(

I know, it's dreadful that we can't help all of them, which is why something needs to happen to stop rescues being so necessary.

This little girl is a blue/grey mini lop apparently - if anyone local is interested in taking her on, then please let me know.

I know Bunny Buddy was looking for a minilop doe, she had a thread up...(don't know how to get the link) :wave:

We have had so many calls to take in unwanted pets we are no longer adding to our waiting list as no point
We had to do an appeal for extra foster homes and thank goodness got some.
Rehoming is slower than I've ever known it:(

one call we've had recently
A lady rang up to say her daughter couldn't cope with a litter of babies they had. The RSPCA were full and could we help.
I said we were also full but would go round to sex the babies and make suggestions for their care until we could take them.
Sadly I found two un neutered adult rabbits running lose round a garden together. I pointed out that they would have mated again to which I got a " huh, well it's not my fault I didn't really want the rabbits anyway" as reply.????? ( she had taken them off a friend who had been breeding then decided she didn't want rabbits anymore)

The girls little boy, a toddler, was chasing them and trying to kick them.
The 6 babies were in a small filthy hutch with some chicken wire round the outside. They were only about 5 weeks old , had been taken from there mum at 3 weeks and the owners had put the dad back in with them "now and then " but he was attacking them so they stopped doing that!:censored:
While I was there the girl answered her phone and told me it was a friend of hers who wanted to come and collect 2 of the babies that afternoon for her kids .....guess who brought back to the rescue 6 little rabbits? Sadly one had to be pts a week and a half later due to a probable spinal injury:cry: The other 5 are thriving

We have had more than the usual amount of " can you take my rabbit/s I'm allergic" and then when you say you are full..they say "but I'm going on holiday next week"
A higher number of "accidental" litters where we are guessing people want to "have a go " at breeding to sell then get left with too many animals to care for
and of course the " we bought a rabbit for the children but they are now bored with it"
It just goes on and on...:cry:

I know Bunny Buddy was looking for a minilop doe, she had a thread up...(don't know how to get the link) :wave:

:wave: Thanks for remembering us.

This girl sounds ideal (age etc) but she is a long way away, I don't know if it would be fair on her to drag her so far.

'The Kirkby Crew' have highlighted a 4 month old doe in Kirkby (funnily enough!) about 90 miles from me who I'm giving very serious thought to, transport would be fairly easy to arrange as Denise would be travelling part of the way north anyway.

:cry: Just pathetic:cry: I find it upsetting just reading this thread, how you dont go mad dealing with this day in day out, I dont know:cry:

I have only rescued two unwanted rabbits and I am worried if I see the owner as I am tempted to give him Tulips vet bill. They just didn't give a s:censored:t about those buns:evil: I just don't get it...

I took on a little girl from my hubby's collegue as the child wasn't interested anymore but in fairness the dad seemed really heartbroken to give her up. He offered to pay for her spay and is always asking Hubby how she is.

IF I remember right I think Hopper had to say no to over 90 rabbits in the first 3 months of 2010:cry:.

Its a bit easier now that we don't rehome as we only now take in rabbits that qualify for the sanctuary, if there is space.

With my other job I have so many phone calls from people who think that we will rush around and collect their unwanted animal from them:roll::roll:
When you mention waiting list etc. the usual response is "I can't believe your supposed to be an animal charity and you're not going to help me blah, blah, blah......" I bet most of these people have never put their hands in their pockets to help out any animal charity...

IF I remember right I think Hopper had to say no to over 90 rabbits in the first 3 months of 2010:cry:.

Its a bit easier now that we don't rehome as we only now take in rabbits that qualify for the sanctuary, if there is space.

With my other job I have so many phone calls from people who think that we will rush around and collect their unwanted animal from them:roll::roll:
When you mention waiting list etc. the usual response is "I can't believe your supposed to be an animal charity and you're not going to help me blah, blah, blah......" I bet most of these people have never put their hands in their pockets to help out any animal charity...

Good lord. Is there any way to verify that sort of figure to use for welfare purposes? I now record all my enquiries even if I can't help becuase it's only with this kind of info that any of us can start to shout about it.

I reckon going on holiday is a big part of it. They can't/don't want to bother organising care for their pets so it's easier to get rid of them. My friend works for the RSPCA and had to collect a dog recently because the owners were moving house - got there to find no sign of moving house, but she got the impression they were going on holiday.

Good lord. Is there any way to verify that sort of figure to use for welfare purposes? I now record all my enquiries even if I can't help becuase it's only with this kind of info that any of us can start to shout about it.

Verify how?
You can ring Lou and ask!!!

I think Lou and her mum just kept a running tally.

:wave: Thanks for remembering us.

This girl sounds ideal (age etc) but she is a long way away, I don't know if it would be fair on her to drag her so far.

'The Kirkby Crew' have highlighted a 4 month old doe in Kirkby (funnily enough!) about 90 miles from me who I'm giving very serious thought to, transport would be fairly easy to arrange as Denise would be travelling part of the way north anyway.

If needed I'm sure we could sort some bunny run out...with a stop over, if it's agreed bun would be ok to travel...I'm in Blackburn so could do some part of the latter journey ;)

On hearing that I have recently had Doodee and Arnie from the RSPCA I was asked if I would take on two un-neutered does age maybe 2-3 before they were let free in Sutton Park.

:shock:

After I finished looking appauled I pointed out that rabbits are not pets for kids, cost as much as a cat, need a darn good hutch and a run if not house rabbits and handed over the www for rabbit rehome and dumping pets was illegal. I could not take them, no spare hutch or indoor caging at the mo.

I am NOT a rescue, I just choose to have rescued rabbits yet some daft * think this means I will happily be able to bail them out because they have got bored or a doe gets all hormonal and they cannot be bothered to get them spayed.

So sad to hear these stories.Just thinking about all the lovely people on here who love their rabbits.At least we are helping some.What are people like with pets.Our pets are as much family as the children.Keep up the good work all you rescues you have hearts of gold :love::love:

Hope she's not another relation to my Bellie! :evil:

Back