• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations - What does your vet recommend

What Vaccinations for Rabbits Does your Vet Recommend?

• Does not recommend vaccination at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recommends Myxo only (6 months)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Recommends Myxo only (yearly)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Recommends VHD only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recommends Myxo (6 months) and VHD

Votes: 74 83.1%
  • Recommends Myxo (yearly) and VHD

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I don't know, we don't vaccinate

• I do know, but I still don't vaccinate

• Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Having had a client of mine this week tell me that her vet only recommends Myxo once yearly, and having heard on several occasions from potential adopters that they were told that their rabbits wouldn't need vaccinations if they are houserabbits, I'd like to know please, what does your vets say?

For those who are maybe new to rabbits, Myxomatosis should be given every 6 months and VHD should be given yearly.

Even house rabbits need to be vaccinated - myxo is carried by biting insects and they do go indoors! VHD is spread by contact and can be passed on clothing, skin, feet etc. It is also passed by contact with other rabbits, insects or other hosts.

If you have a rabbit that is healthy enough, vaccinate please.

Last edited:
My vets recommend 6 monthly myxi vaccs. and annual VHD. We start our six monthly effort on that today. With 16 bunnies its a bit of an epic one :lol:

I remember on here some people were saying their vets recommended the myxi every 4 months, so that may crop up.

My vets recommend 6 monthly myxi vaccs. and annual VHD. We start our six monthly effort on that today. With 16 bunnies its a bit of an epic one :lol:

I remember on here some people were saying their vets recommended the myxi every 4 months, so that may crop up.

That's interesting - I hope we may see some variances with supportive information then.

I might be wrong, but I don't think we even have Myxo and VHD vaccinations here (Western Australia). The only vaccination Charlee & Noah have had is the calcivirus vaccination - awhile back this virus was released into the wild to control wild rabbit numbers, so they have a vaccination to protect pet rabbits. It is done for rabbits indoors and out, once a year.

yes always myxi 6 months and VHD yearly... I even get a few reminders through the post for when they are due! :D

I might be wrong, but I don't think we even have Myxo and VHD vaccinations here (Western Australia). The only vaccination Charlee & Noah have had is the calcivirus vaccination - awhile back this virus was released into the wild to control wild rabbit numbers, so they have a vaccination to protect pet rabbits. It is done for rabbits indoors and out, once a year.

I'm not sure, but is that not the VHD one? but its called something like RCD over there? Editted again, to add http://www.surveymaster.com/prod20.htm That sounds the same as our VHD one. Not an ideal source, but the fastest one I could find (I'm running out the door soon).

ETA- I thik you also have the myxo vaccination over there too, but that its not allowed to be used or something? I know that a lady lost all bt one of hers to myxo, and the remaining one was allowed a vaccination, but generally you are not allowed it- or something. I may have not told that properly.:lol:

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but is that not the VHD one? but its called something like RHD over there?

ETA- I thik you also have the myxo vaccination over there too, but that its not allowed to be used or something? I know that a lady lost all bt one of hers to myxo, and the remaining one was allowed a vaccination, but generally you are not allowed it- or something. I may have not told that properly.:lol:

I just dug out Charlees vaccination card - the calcivirus vaccine is also known as RHD..so is that the same as VHD? I might ask the vet about the myxo vaccination next time I am in. Being fairly new to bunnies I tend to just do what she recommends (thus we also worm 6 monthly).

I just dug out Charlees vaccination card - the calcivirus vaccine is also known as RHD..so is that the same as VHD? I might ask the vet about the myxo vaccination next time I am in. Being fairly new to bunnies I tend to just do what she recommends (thus we also worm 6 monthly).

Yes, RHD is something like Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease- As I understand it, different name, same illness.

Myxi twice a year and VHD once a year.

My local vets only started recommending VHD jab two years ago after a sudden death :evil: I'd been told by them it wasn't a risk, until then. (Unlikely sudden death was VHD but they weren't protected at that time.)

Myxi jabs only started being recommended 6 monthly during the last couple of years but my rabbit savvy vet (20 miles away) only went onto twice a year the year before as well so that's fairly consistent. I can't understand why this area wasn't deemed 'high risk' before that though :?

With the climate/seasons in UK I can't see a need for 4 monthly. I had a conversation with FHB last week when she was vaccinating Esme and she said although Es was due in Jan (6 monthly) don't take her back until March as that's the best time to do it. So rather than 3 times a year I'm thinking spring and then late summer - 4 or 5 months apart then no vaccination until March sounds like a better way of covering the season without over-vaccinating.

I may be wrong but the last time I heard, it was illegal to give your rabbits the myxo vaccine and anyone who does can be prosecuted. There have been campaigns to get the government to allow vaccination. Anyone confirm this?

Myxi twice a year and VHD once a year.

My local vets only started recommending VHD jab two years ago after a sudden death :evil: I'd been told by them it wasn't a risk, until then. (Unlikely sudden death was VHD but they weren't protected at that time.)

Myxi jabs only started being recommended 6 monthly during the last couple of years but my rabbit savvy vet (20 miles away) only went onto twice a year the year before as well so that's fairly consistent. I can't understand why this area wasn't deemed 'high risk' before that though :?

With the climate/seasons in UK I can't see a need for 4 monthly. I had a conversation with FHB last week when she was vaccinating Esme and she said although Es was due in Jan (6 monthly) don't take her back until March as that's the best time to do it. So rather than 3 times a year I'm thinking spring and then late summer - 4 or 5 months apart then no vaccination until March sounds like a better way of covering the season without over-vaccinating.

That seems like quite a reasonable suggestion.

myxi every 6 months even though its a low risk area, shes of the view its not worth the risk of not.

VHD yearly.

although not a vac she also recommends panacur every 6 months for 28 days because shes seen some very nasty EC cases and again would rather some prevention than risking none at all.

I may be wrong but the last time I heard, it was illegal to give your rabbits the myxo vaccine and anyone who does can be prosecuted. There have been campaigns to get the government to allow vaccination. Anyone confirm this?

I have just done some research.

"The Australian authorities have not allowed the Myxomatosis Vaccine to be made available to Australian pet owners because they fear that immunity from the live Myxoma vaccine (made from Shopes Fibroma Virus which cross protects against Myxomatosis) could somehow transfer from pet rabbits to the wild rabbits (which the authorities want to kill)."

From this website - http://members.iinet.net.au/~rabbit/pam.htm
There is a petition to the Government which I am just about to join.

Didn't vote as my vets are having a 'wobble' ove rthe VHD vaccine -

it WAS myxi every 6 months and vhd yearly -

at present it is still myxi every 6 months but vhd for only very healthy buns and at your own risk . . .

we have had another small wobble after VHD - so thats one major wobble (MAJOR) and one minor and she has also had a healthy one die from someone else.

(PS and yes it was a different batch and even a different vet who gave the jab . . . )

But I am still holding to VHD yearly at present . . thankfully do not have to have any others done till Oct!

oddly enough, I asked my vet about Eric's 6 monthly myxo yesterday as It will be due around the time of our next tooth check appt and she said that round here, she's not seen any cases so unless that changes between now and September, we could leave it the 12 months.

I'm not convinced.

I'm sorry to be dense but I'm not quite understanding :?

Either the vaccine covers them for 6 months or for whole year - it only takes one bite from an infected insect to pass the virus so the number of insects in a particular area shouldn't have any bearing on how often the buns are vaccinated.

Does the immunity reduce over time then ?

That's like saying a dog should only be vaccinated every other year because they only get one walk a day instead of two ??? :?

I really don't understand - sorry

By the way, we've got different vets in our town, mine suggests every 6 months and another (only a 5 minute drive away), says it's a low risk area and only vaccinates once a year

I'm sorry to be dense but I'm not quite understanding :?

Either the vaccine covers them for 6 months or for whole year - it only takes one bite from an infected insect to pass the virus so the number of insects in a particular area shouldn't have any bearing on how often the buns are vaccinated.

Does the immunity reduce over time then ?

That's like saying a dog should only be vaccinated every other year because they only get one walk a day instead of two ??? :?

I really don't understand - sorry

By the way, we've got different vets in our town, mine suggests every 6 months and another (only a 5 minute drive away), says it's a low risk area and only vaccinates once a year

It is thought that the immunity of the myxi vaccination is strongest in the first 4 months after being vaccinated, and after then it decreases.

The key times are March and October, I believe, for flying insects and also wild rabbits being more out and about and spreading fleas wider. So if the wild population in that area are struggling with myxo, it means rabbits in those areas more likely to come across an infected insect (not all insects are infected, I believe), thus making them more at risk.

Its basically a probability game, and the likelihood of a problem.

Back