• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how do you win the dominance battle with a bun

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
:? :?

i just went upstairs and within 5 mins Holly had jumped on the bed and peed. so how do i tell her im top bun :?:?

i dont want to lock them up at night ive really enjoyed freerange, but if she pees on the bed while im in it she will ruin the mattress i cant afford to replace :? :?

i knew she was fiesty, but OMG!!!

no i just ignored her. i will scoot her off next time but then she might do it on the landlords carpet :?

maybe i dont stroke her head fast enough when i see her :?:?

just found this :shock::shock::shock:

This is not generally a request for grooming; most often it is more like an order. Disobeying this order can lead to unhappiness, chewing on your clothing, or even an annoyed nip. Repeatedly ignoring a rabbit's invitation for grooming will lead to insult and frustration, which can in turn result in having your rugs shredded, your baseboards removed, and your pillow peed upon. It's way easier to provide at least a few strokes on the forehead upon request to support your rabbit's self-esteem.

Finally, there is the all-out nuclear weapon of insults, reserved only for the most offensive, utterly unacceptable, good for nothing individuals and behavior: urine. And if you've ever had to clean up a pungent puddle of bunny pee, often bright yellow, orange, or even red, and more than a little odorous, then you know just how powerful this weapon really is. Note that urine used for marking territory and ownership is another story entirely. But when your rabbit pees on your pillow (yes, it happens), you have obviously qualified as the lowest of the low. If you respond in kind, then you probably deserved it.

Last edited:
maybe i dont stroke her head fast enough when i see her :?:?

just found this :shock::shock::shock:

This is not generally a request for grooming; most often it is more like an order. Disobeying this order can lead to unhappiness, chewing on your clothing, or even an annoyed nip. Repeatedly ignoring a rabbit's invitation for grooming will lead to insult and frustration, which can in turn result in having your rugs shredded, your baseboards removed, and your pillow peed upon. It's way easier to provide at least a few strokes on the forehead upon request to support your rabbit's self-esteem.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i actually have NO idea what i have done to offend her these last few days :?:?

and nope deffo no peeing on her bed :shock::shock:

Ummm... as odd as it sounds I got my rabbits behaving and littertraining by using their own language xD no no, don't run off and pee in their hutch :lol: when I saw them being deliberately naughty I'd thump my feet, turn my back on them and walk away, flicking my feet behind me. In a matter of seconds they'd of followed me and started nudging my feet and knees to get me to stop ignoring them, and oddly enough it worked, they realised that perticular naughty behaviour upset me, and didn't do it anymore (At least when I was around :roll:)

Likewise if I accidently did something to upset the rabbit (like rushing past them or not grooming them enough) They'd thump their feet, hop away from me and sit up straight with their back to me, looking over their shoulder waiting for me to come and beg for forgiveness (Firefly was a pro at that)

I don't know if this works on all rabbits, depends how stubborn and dominant they are, but please don't call the looney bin on me :oops:

right thumping and walking out the room it will be, so glad stes not here to witness this :lol::lol::lol::lol:

she dont pee when im doing the morning stuff, changing iced bottles, water & litter tray before giving the much wanted pellets..

and shes definately doing it out of behaviour rather than illness.

just wish i fully understood if im offending her by invading what she sees as her space, fighting for the love of Alvin or its because ive ignored her beyond repair... she does like fuss so i just dont know what im doing :? :? :?

i want to understand her language b:oops::oops:ut im just a dense human

:lol: oh dear:oops:

not laughing at your stinky bed, just the paragraph you copied in:D (honest!).

if i dare to be in the kitchen doing something other than fussing esme (like them domestic goddess duties), she nips my jeans and feet (really should wear shoes) then she goes off to her digging and shredding corner in a strop. however, it all has to be on he terms - if i want to rub her gorgeous soft nose and she's not in the mood, she will not budge!

eric is more gentle - he will slide under my legs if i'm sat on the sofa and nudge me with his nose.

girls eh:roll: all i can think of is maybe plonking a litter tray by your bed and if you catch her on there, put her in the tray?

^ Maybe she wants your territory, if she sees herself as Top bun she'll want to own everything you do, since in her eyes you're probably her property :lol:

Firefly was like this, but we had a little understanding, he could "pretend" to be the boss as long as he behaved :roll: It's all about compromise, like having a teenager! :shock:

i copied it form ebony eyes website by the way. very interesting reading :D:D:D

well she never entered the room last night, i slept with half an eye open to kick her off my bed if she tried any funny business, she spent the night in her own room tho.. very strange little gal she is :shock::shock:

right thumping and walking out the room it will be, so glad stes not here to witness this :lol::lol::lol::lol:

she dont pee when im doing the morning stuff, changing iced bottles, water & litter tray before giving the much wanted pellets..

and shes definately doing it out of behaviour rather than illness.

just wish i fully understood if im offending her by invading what she sees as her space, fighting for the love of Alvin or its because ive ignored her beyond repair... she does like fuss so i just dont know what im doing :? :? :?

i want to understand her language b:oops::oops:ut im just a dense human

try this web site
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

it`s realy good, i read it all the time.:D

I just think she likes your bed and wants to claim a place for herself there. I don't know of many solutions other than blocking off the bed though...

Back