• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying my Belgain Hare Soon..

Isis

Mama Doe
As she is 4 years old, I am so worried something will happen to her. And if I am doing the right thing.

Be very aware of the risks from the GA, I lost my 4 year old male bun last month - he was only in for a dental. His partner bun, and me are still greving. I'm not saying it'll happen to yours, my boy hadn't eaten for a fair few hours before the opp, which I think had a lot to do with it.

I am just worried, because she is an oldish girl. I would hate myself if something happened to her :cry:

There are, as you know, so many benifits to spaying. But I agree its scary. No one can tell you what to do.

What are the cancer statistics like with unspayed belgain hare's?
Do you intend to bond her with another hare?

I got my Cloud spayed at seven years old. Apparently she stopped breathing on the table and had to be resuscitated (sp!) but the vet said that happens fairly often with rabbits and didn't act like it was anything to be worried about. She was very quiet the day after but was fine again within 24 hours. :)

I'd ask for a blood test of you're really worried. My regular vet would have given Cloud one but I had to use a different vet as I had a RSPCA voucher. I asked for a blood test but they didn't do it (I won't be using that vet again, although she was fine, I'm annoyed they ignored my request).

Back