• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

spaying

ash&crystal

Alpha Buck
well even though we have had the rabbits missing we thought we should go ahead with the spay for ash (babies werent supposed to be going in anyway)

so just wondering what i should do?:oops: well before spay does she need to be fed and watered normally (i think so)

and after spay will she be ok outside in a hutch? should she poop normally straight after? and will she eat and drink the same?

another question is that should her two babies go with her (they are 11 weeks) or will she be ok and will they be ok alone for a day?

do we have to go to the vet for a check up after spay or do the just leave her with us? and stitches living with 2 other young rabbits will they pick them out or will she pick them out?

will she get a coller for her neck to stop her scratching and biting her sitches?

i know you probably cant answer alot of these questions because it depends on the vets but any help will be greatly appreciated

ash&crystal

P.S any spare vibes for her?:)

Feed and water her normally before the op :wave:

If you can, I would advise bringing her inside, she might struggle to keep her temperature up outside. I would keep her in quite a small pen to discourage exercise for a few days as well.

She should poop, eat and drink the same - if she isn't she probably needs to go to the vets for more pain relief. If she stops eating, I would syringe her food and water for the first 24 hours, and if it continues take her back to the vets :wave: don't know how long others would leave it before taking her to the vets.

Your vets should want to do a post-op check up. They can give her a collar if you ask, but it can stop her eating and drinking, so I would maybe ask for one to take home and just put it on her if she bothers the stitches.

It's personal choice I think leaving her with the babies, they might pick up on the fact she is feeling a bit under the weather and start bullying her. I personally would leave them together and if they start picking on her, or pulling at her stitches, then separate her.

What's the plan for the two babies? Are you planning on keeping them all together permanently as a threesome? What sex are they (and are you certain?)

If the plan is for the two babies to stay permanently with mum I would take them all along together and while they're there you can ask the vet to double check their sexes and advise on next steps for neutering them (if one of them is a boy you will need to separate him immediately as he could soon get his sister pregnant; if both are boys they will need castrating very soon to prevent fights).

Agree though that she should definitely be fed as normal until you take her in; take some of her normal food along so that everything is normal for her and the babies; keep her indoors somewhere quiet and dimly lit for the night after the op at least, as she won't be able to regulate her own body temperature properly after surgery. Make sure the vet gives her painkiller and keep an eye on her the next day as sometimes they don't recover well or start eating on their own in which case she may need to go back to the vet.

My personal view is to just leave her alone with some tempting treats and a bowl of water the evening she comes home (unless you think something is seriously wrong that needs an emergency vet). I think you can increase the stress and prolong the recovery, and possibly damage the wound, if you start syringe feeding too soon. It's a tricky balance because they do need to eat, but my feeling is that the day of the surgery it's pretty normal and to be expected that she might not want to eat...but if she's still like it the next day, it needs a trip back to the vet.

What's the plan for the two babies? Are you planning on keeping them all together permanently as a threesome? What sex are they (and are you certain?)
we are going to keep the two babys
If the plan is for the two babies to stay permanently with mum I would take them all along together and while they're there you can ask the vet to double check their sexes and advise on next steps for neutering them (if one of them is a boy you will need to separate him immediately as he could soon get his sister pregnant; if both are boys they will need castrating very soon to prevent fights).
they aare both girls they went last tuesday for jabs so vet checked them over and ash and said that they are girls
Agree though that she should definitely be fed as normal until you take her in; take some of her normal food along so that everything is normal for her and the babies; keep her indoors somewhere quiet and dimly lit for the night after the op at least, as she won't be able to regulate her own body temperature properly after surgery. Make sure the vet gives her painkiller and keep an eye on her the next day as sometimes they don't recover well or start eating on their own in which case she may need to go back to the vet.

My personal view is to just leave her alone with some tempting treats and a bowl of water the evening she comes home (unless you think something is seriously wrong that needs an emergency vet). I think you can increase the stress and prolong the recovery, and possibly damage the wound, if you start syringe feeding too soon. It's a tricky balance because they do need to eat, but my feeling is that the day of the surgery it's pretty normal and to be expected that she might not want to eat...but if she's still like it the next day, it needs a trip back to the vet.

thanks for the help:D
sorry but another question:oops: but how long will she hvae to stay indoors?:)

Last edited:
It really depends on how well she recovers and how warm it is outdoors (including overnight temperatures). At this time of year, one night may be enough if she recovers well and the temperature next day is warm and it stays warm the following night. If she doesn't recover so well and is still a bit poorly, and/or the temperature is colder or cold at night, then she may need to stay in for 3 days or so. There is no hard and fast rule, you really just have to judge it depending on how she is.

What everyone else says!! Just to add - Lola did need extra pain relief the next day as she was still under the weather - keep a close eye and be prepared to go back to vets, althought hopefully it wont happen to your little lady - better to be safe than sorry though!

had ash spayed yesterday! all went well i hope the vet said to just keep her in for a night?:? so she is out now she didnt eat much at first but is now has pooped a bit but i am still awaiting a pee. but as she is now back in with the other two it will be hard to check. in a spay do they take something out because she feels VERY thin on her hips and like under her back legs? thanks for all the advice and one more thing:oops: how long about does it take for the like cut to heal.

thanks again x ash&crystal

P.S. i have a vets appointment on tuesday for the two babys jabs so if anything happens she can go in with them. also she had a appointment today for checkp and vet said shes fine:)

Is her accommodation all on one level, as she really shouldn't be doing jumps or ramps for a while under the tissue starts to heal together.

The tissue they take out of a bunny is quite small so you shouldn't notice a dramatic change in her size.

She may be hunched due to being in pain? Is she eating and pooping ok now?

Back