• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

peeing and hay problems

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
ok. I wasnt sure where to post this so im sorry if its in the wrong section. I need some advice and also some suggestions if thats ok :) i'm sorry for the essay.

I have 2 bunnies Fiver and Ellie, a male and female. both are neutered/spayed.

They have a cage with 3 levels but they also have free run of my bedroom. On the top shelf they've had a pillow for months. The past few weeks one or both of them have been peeing on it. :? i dont understand why because i would have thought if it was territorial marking then wouldn't they have pee'd on it when i first put it in? Its a full on, emptying the bladder kinda pee too :roll: so soaks right through the pillow and onto the shelf.

The other thing is i need a way to give them loads of hay. Ellie has a funny tummy sometimes so i give her loads of hay. I tried filling a carry case full of it so they could munch it all day but Ellie insisted on digging it out and spreading it all over my room. Which obviously then got walked all through the house and my mam wasnt too pleased :roll:
I then used a large drawer but they saw it as a giant litter tray :roll: So now i've had to go back to putting the hay in their litter tray which i really don't like coz then they end up peeing and pooing all over it and it gets really smelly even though i clean it out constantly. Also when it's in the litter tray they end up wasting soooo much its unreal. They obviously wont eat soiled hay but they also get really picky and will only eat some of the hay which is not good for Ellie. Can anyone suggest anyway i can get tonnes of hay for Ellie to eat without them spreading it far and wide and peeing on it?

*phew*

Ah, tricky one! Have you tried putting hay in just one corner of the littertray, so they can munch while they poo without getting it dirty? Or how about a hay rack above the tray?

As for the bed, in my experience buns do pee on soft material, for some random unknown reason! :roll: It's just one of their many delightful habits!

Last edited:
haha! ok then pillows ar ebeing thrown out and replaced with carpet lol.

I thought about a hay rack but i think that would generate a whole lot more mess o_O and yes i put it at the closest corner so that their bums are furthest away...they dig it and spread the hay all over..thus peeing on it :roll:

Someone must have solved this problem somehow! lol

Back