• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Microchipping is it worth it?

andy5898

Warren Scout
I am going to have my female rabbit microchipped. I have had my male rabbit microchipped. But I have been speaking to a Rabbit holiday place where my rabbits were going notice the were not are! They said there is no point in having it done because if she escapes she is likely to get killed anyway.

I am now left wondering if I should get her microchipped or not my gut instinct says yes do it. What do others think?

Thanks

To be honest, I'd be a bit worried if a bunny holiday home said that to me, is there anywhere else you can holiday your bun while you're away? Always go with your gut feeling as I really think micro chipping is a very good idea. I've been thinking of getting my two chipped shortly. :wave:

I have already found somewhere I am going to see them tonight. Its made me really concerned about the bunny holiday place I tried. They were so rude as if I was being stupid for even considering it!

There is a boarding establishment that knows Alice in Gloucester

http://www.blackberryboarding.co.uk/

I don't know what part of the country you are in and, if not Gloucester, let us know and we can recommend other establishments.

My bunnies are not microchipped and I think its a personal thing. It would be a good idea if your bunny got out and was handed in, they could scan. Ive seen programmes where dogs and cats have been chipped and reunited. Hopefully someone who has their buns chipped and will give you their view.

It's so good you've found somewhere else, isn't it terrible with some holiday places as it's as if they just don't care and to be so rude too! Now you can go away knowing your bunnies will be well looked after :D
Hope you have a lovely holiday!

My buns are not microchipped. They are indoors so little chance of them escaping outdoors. The holiday place doesn't sound all that good though.

I am hoping this place near me can help out and I am happy with them this evening. But if not I will try the one near Alice, as I am going past Gloucester anyway. I am in North Somerset but my little couple will only go to a place where I am happy with be it Somerset, Gloucester or inbetween!

Makes you realise not all these animal boarding places are that interested in the animal!

If they aren't happy while I am away I will have a awful weekend away! It took me 6 catteries to find one I liked for the cat I am hoping to find a rabbit place in only 5 attempts!

I think it is definitely worth it!

We get so many rabbits through the shelter and it would help SO much if any of them were microchipped!

Our local vets don't even offer it as a service and one of them completely refuses to do it! :/

I think it's worth it. If you have made sure their accommodation is secure and they still escape at least you have done everything you can say you have done everything you can to get them back by getting them chipped.

If it would give you some peace of mind then it's definitely worth it but there is no right or wrong answer. It's only yourself that you've got to convince.

I had already convinced meself it was worth it so I was happy until the rabbit holiday place told me it was a waste of time because if they get out they will more than likely get killed!

Just the reassurance you need for leaving you 2 little buns with them!

Andy, try Keith and Jackie at Congesbury Small Animal kennels.

http://www.csak.co.uk/

They are super rabbit savvy and look after my zoo regularly.

My lot were so well looked after I don't think they wanted to come home! :lol:

i think its worth it, alot of the time rabbits if they escape will get picked up by people, i found one a few months ago he was on a reasonabley busy road outside my house all night and most of th day before i caught him but managed to stay alive..

It's definately worth it, just for the peace of mind that you have done everything you possibly can. If they escaped or were stolen you would always be wondering if having them chipped might have helped.

Well yes, it's probably more likely that an escaped pet rabbit would be killed than survive BUT there is a chance that it'll survive and be picked up. If your bunny is chipped, there's a chance you'll get it back. Without it, you've no hope. I guess the biggest problem is how many shelters would actually scan for a chip in a bunny? Let's face it, not all dog wardens/shelters even scan all the dogs and cats that pass through their doors :roll:

So my answer would be if you want to chip them, then chip them and you'll be happy you've done everything you can. Don't listen to anyone else.

My buns are not microchipped. They are indoors so little chance of them escaping outdoors. The holiday place doesn't sound all that good though.

This ^ Mine are also upstairs behind a stairgate so the chances of them running out of a door is slim to zero. I read that a lot of rescues don't bother checking for microchips in rabbits as well.

My cats are chipped but I have never microchipped a rabbit first because they can't escape, and second because even if they did, I doubt there are many places that would scan rabbits to see if they have a microchip. So on balance I don't think it's worth it as I'm confident that I wouldn't need it. But I don't see any reason why you shouldn't if it helps to give you peace of mind.

I don't think there's any point at all - it's just unnecessary stress for the rabbit. Just make sure your setup is 100% escape proof. Even if they were to escape, if you notified all the local vets, rescues, RSPCA and the police, if someone honest found her they'd recognise the description.

Back