• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How high is the ramp from your hutch

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
My o/h has got to make a ramp leading to the run from the hutch. I want to raise the hutch from the run giving the rabbits more height but I don't want to make it so high that it becomes a bit dodgy. Not worried about Spudsey as she'll probably bypass the ramp and just jump it but thats what wildie buns long legs are for! More concerned for BB who is a netherland dwarf.

I'd make it about 2ft off the ground, as they'd have room to sit under it comfortably without it being too far off the ground. Get your OH to make a ledge of the front of the hutch as well (on hinges so you can move it to clean them out) so there's less chance of them falling out. It might be an idea to attach a piece of corrugated piping onto the ramp for them to run through too, as they couldn't fall off then!

Last edited:
My Big Boys (Nethies) have had the legs of their hutch extended so it's 18" off the ground, and we put a ramp in (although they were happy to jump up and down without it :roll:). We stuck carpet onto the ramp (they're good and don't chew carpet, preferring to eat the legs of the hutch instead...), but the car[pet makes it much safer for using the ramp.

Most average rabbits would be ok with a run 2ft high. Aside from making sure the buns can stretch right up without hitting the top, I wouldn't worry so much about the height as the angle of the ramp - too steep can be dangerous. I'd either make the ramp nice and long so it is a nice gentle slope, or have it shorter but ending on top of a box or something so they can jump down the last 6" or so.

Forget the ramp give them a step instead. It will save room and give them an extra place to sit.

We give our rabbits big logs to jump onto instead of ramps. It also saves accidents, rabbits can get a leg trapped down the side of a ramp and do themselves alot of damage.

Back