• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matted fur

Hi all.
We're having a few problems with our cashmere lop. He's 4 months old at the moment, and his fur is still quite wispy, thin and fluffy. He used to manage to get just small knots which we could comb out, but we mostly groomed him to get rid of all the little pieces of hay that were in his fur.
Anyway, lately he has been getting huge huge mats. We still groom him, most days twice a day, and although usually we get most of the knots out, he will then go and clean himself and lick what is left of the mats, causing them to become really solid and so difficult to get rid of. We are trying pretty much everything but these mats just won't budge. We've cut bits of his hair, but we're worried that if we were to cut into the mats, we would catch his skin. We've sprayed coat detangler on him but that had little effect. It's got to the point where they really are uncombable.
I'm worried that the knots are pulling on his skin and causing him pain. The mats only seem to be where his joints are and where the skin regularly moves, for example the top of his hind legs, his shoulders and the sides of his chest.
We're taking him to the vet tomorrow for neutering so will ask the vets what we can do, but I'm really worried that he's in pain. He's still a lovely cheerful hoppy rabbit, bless him. :love:
Anything you guys could suggest?
Thanks for reading. x

Sadly this will be an ongoing problem
You could ask the vet to remove the matts while he's under the ga.
then keep his fur short and do brush often..if he gets large matts try to pick them apart with your fingers..you can trim him yourself and cut matts off BUT BE VERY CAREFUL IT IS SO EASY TO CUT THE RABBITS SKIN..OR TEAR IT
Even combing can tear the skin so hold fur with your fingers to brush out

I would get the vets to shave off the matts.
I know it doesnt look good to begin with, but does help bunster.

I once ripped my Inca's skin while coaming her, and she is a short haired bunny!

Thank you for your help!
The vet sheared the mats off for us, and Hopscotch is now a funny looking little thing - bald at the sides with a fluffy mohican!! :D
I believe I know what caused the problem, so will be able to keep on top of it from now on, fingers crossed.
:)

Thats good news.

Just hope the fur grows back in quickly.....my Inca still has one shaved bit on her side after 3 months!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your help!
The vet sheared the mats off for us, and Hopscotch is now a funny looking little thing - bald at the sides with a fluffy mohican!! :D
I believe I know what caused the problem, so will be able to keep on top of it from now on, fingers crossed.
:)

What was it that caused the problem? (might be useful for peeps with matty buns!)

Glad hes matt free and feeling better xxx

What was it that caused the problem? (might be useful for peeps with matty buns!)

Glad hes matt free and feeling better xxx

Thanks. :)
The problem was that me and my mum (who are the main groomers!) went away for a couple of days and he wasn't groomed thoroughly by the rest of the family. I believe this, combined with him licking the mats, made them solid and sore, poor baby bunny.
It just goes to show how much attention long-haired rabbits do need - just a couple of days of no grooming and look what's happened! Everything's sorted now though, and fingers crossed I'll be able to prevent it before it happens again. :)

Back