• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flippy is off his feet again . think its ear abscess again

barbara forster

Warren Scout
about a month ago flippy went all wobbly and limp. The only thing he could move was his head. The vet found an abscess down his ear so gave him sterioid painkillers and anitbiotics. we also put him on a course of laprizole.
He picked up after a couple of days and gradually over a week got back to normal.
now its happened again but not as bad. He can sit up but is really wobbly when he tries to walk. vet says both his ears have mucus in them so he is back on the steriod painkillers and antibiotics. He had 32 days of laprizole. I am syringing him with food and water. He is trying to eat greens and celery but i think his face is too sore. This all happened last night. He has just washed his face but almost fell over. We are back at the vets tomorrow. The vet is suggesting that we dose him with antibiotics at intervals now to keep it at bay. I dont know much about abcesses but i hear they do come back. would be grateful for any advice please.

I don't have any experience of abscesses actually inside the ear, all mine have been at the base of the ear, so can't offer advice. But am sending Flippy vibes, he sounds like a little fighter.

Good luck for tomorrows vets appointment

flippy is really trying to eat. he is taking little tiny nibbles. he does seem a little bit brighter, hopefully the a/biotics are working.

Aw, poor bunny. Have you had the abscess cultured to check you are using the same antibiotics.

I'm also interested to know about the use of steroid and why it was given because that can supress the immue system, making it harder for them to fight off infections. I've not come across the use of steroids for abscesses, so am very interested to hear why (genuinely- I don't know enough about steroids other than the experience I have with my bunny and using it for his chest problems).

Hi Barb, sorry to hear that Fippy has taken a turn for the worse. I don't have any experience with abcesses but sending Flippy some vibes for a quick recovery.

As Sky-O mentioned, a culture might be useful.

Hi,
thanks for your posts.
the first time the vet said there was pus and an abscess. last night the emergency vet said both ears had pus in them but could not see an abscess. she said that as he has gone so wobbly the problem is probably in his middle or inner ear. she gave him the steriod 'duphacort q' which she said was a steriod anti inflamitory pain killer and also marbocyl. he has had marbocyl again tonight. i am still learning about all the different medications. The vet i see is really nice and if there is anything she is not sure about she phones our regular vet who is an exotics expert. I do think she knows her stuff but dont know enough to question what she is doing.
he is more alert now than earier.
will let you know how we get on at the vets but yes, i will ask him to do a culture as we need to get to the bottom of it.
i work from home and havent got anything done today so am gonna do a few hrs now to catch up. the day flies by when you have a little bunny. will prob go to bed about 2 and then up early as vets at 9.30 x

yep, flippy has started to pick up again. This morning he was padded up in a pet carrier to go to the vets to stop him falling over. Now he is in a small pen in the lounge. he is getting around but still a bit wobbly and managing to sit up to wash his face. He isnt eating on his own but will nibble his greens and celery if i sit him on my knee and hold it for him. I am still syringing him water and oxbow. we went to the vets this morning . he said there is still some pus in flippy's ears and has put him on marbosil injections for ten days. He suggested that we give him injections every few weekd hopefully to stop the infection or abscess coming back. I hate injecting the buns but its less stressful than going to the vets which is an hr each way.
hopefully he will continue to pick up.

Matilda went the vets too for a check up. I saw all the xrays from her ankle. There is nothing broken but all the ligaments and tendons have been damaged. She is hopping on it again but more on her toes than her foot. Vet says it will take at least two months before it begins to settle down.
i also had a do with Megan over the weekend, she had the starts of statis but i managed to catch it early and she is ok now.
thanks for your posts
barb x

my french lop had smoothing similar about a year ago though in his case he had an abscess in he jaw bone caused by an overgrown molar root. the abscess moved through the bone and erupted into his ear canal. the vet syringed his ear to remove as much of the pus as possibly and Pierre was put on oral antibiotics. his first course lasted about 6 weeks and seemed to get on top of the infection. the dose was dropped to a 'pulse dose' where he would have the antibiotics for 4 days then 3 days with out etc.

has Flippy had any history of dental disease?
having the pus removed from his ears (under ga) made a huge improvement to Pierre. is this something you have discussed with your vet?

i hope Flippy respond to the medications.

Gosh, they are putting your through your paces Barb. I'm glad Flippy is picking up and there is not too much serious damage to Matilda.

Thanks Maxxev and bunnybabe,

Flippy had his first dental in feb this year . he is 7 so not bad going eh. He does have a tiny spur on his back molar. Flippy is on the marbosil for ten days then back for a check up so i will suggest that when he has his next dental that he is xrayed as well. Your suggestion could be right.
he has just eaten a few dandilion leaves all on his own and he is in a bigger pen now as he isnt falling over anymore.
barb x

Back