• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kits born this morning

lereme

New Kit
As I thought mum had another litter this morning, her previous litter is only 41/2 weeks both accidental and male now neutered. the mum is being pestered all day by the older ones so i have removed them to another cage beside her. what do i do now? Are they still depending on mum feeding them? They all eat pellets and hay and drink water and steal some of mums greens any advice I will be grateful.

Is dad separate from them? if not, when was he neutered?

The advice I got and read about babies in a similar situation was that the babies should be fine at that age. If you give goats milk or anything it can upset their stomachs. Just feed them what you have been feeding normally and keep a VERY close eye for any signs of gut upset from any of them.

Yeah dad is in his own hutch and he doesn't like it he keeps thumping his feet to get out. I hope they are ok. Thanks.

Ok, thats good he is separate.

I would suggest weighing each kit each kit and charting it all.

They will be so fragile so you will have to be very vigilant.

I was wondering if i should put mum in their hutch for an hour and see if she feeds them? Feel really bad for mum she must be exhausted she has had extra cuddles and treats (dandelions). I think there are 4 babies (new).

You could try, but that could be very risky, plus you would have to ensure you knew when she was feeding her new kits so you didn't take her out at the same time. Its not something I would risk.

Mum will need lots of food to try and help her stay in as good condition as possible.

You need to check the babies nest to ensure there are no placentas or dead babies in there. Make sure you have no strong smells on your hands (strong to mum with her sensitive nose, not you) and stroke mum first. You will also need to ensure that they are being fed so will need to check them all daily.

Hopefully she will cope ok with them all.

I will check the nest, she is really good when I go in. I will keep an eye on all of them, the older ones were jumping in the nest thats why i removed them as quick. I was going to try KRM but will stick to pellets and water and see how they go. Thanks for your help.

Back