• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Allergy to hay???

Heather since haveing myxi has always having problems with her eyes and nose(eyes running, sneezing ect.) We have spoken to the vet before about this, he said that because of the myxi (which resulted in her having a deformed nose and scarred eye:() it was just something she would have to live with. But recently it started to get worse.

Last week I wondered if it could be the hay that they are bedded on causing this. So I removed the hay from the hutch and replaces it with carpet tiles and fleece blankets. I went away on a school trip on monday leaving my dad in charge of the rabbits, whe I came back last night Heathers eye had completly stopped weeping and was looking in almost perfect condition! The hay we used to bed them on was not dusty in tyhe slightest untill you got down to the bottom and then there was just the little seeds and shorts bits which I never used. Could she have an allergy to hay? Has anyone got experiance of rabbits with hay?

Thanks x

is she on sawdust/wood shavings, as my bun has a really bad dust allergy, and I cannot use this, or dusty hay, I have to get dust extracted hay for her

Could be an allergy with the hay but this is a really important part of their diet. Can you try a different type of hay and see how it goes, or have a chat to your vet about it. :)

WeeBarraxO - Nope she is not on sawdust/woodshavings and the hay we have might as well be dust extracted it is so 'not dusty' :)

Silly 'Bunny Mummy' - When I left her last week they still had all thier eating hay in their hays rack and hay in their litter trays just not the hutch...thats why I'm kinda confused :?

WeeBarraxO - Nope she is not on sawdust/woodshavings and the hay we have might as well be dust extracted it is so 'not dusty' :)

Silly 'Bunny Mummy' - When I left her last week they still had all thier eating hay in their hays rack and hay in their litter trays just not the hutch...thats why I'm kinda confused :?

hmm maybe they just need a wee space to get away from the hay, as even dust extracted hay does have some dust in it I'm sure, as long as they have enough hay to eat, you could use something different for bedding :wave:

My last nethie had a hay allergy (and shavings). It affected his skin though, not his eyes. He did have dodgy eyes a fair bit because he could not have hay and in turn, that meant dentals. Vicious cycle, poor little man. He would groom within an inch of his life if he was anywhere near it! Was awful.

Can you try hay in a hay rack or something?

I had a bun Taz years ago who had problems with him eyes and the vet told me he had a hay allergy, I reduced the amount of hay and his eye got better, I wasn't totally convinced he had a hay allergy but I bedded him on newspaper and cardboard in the winter (it was years ago, didnt even have lino in my house, let alone the buns hutch) and only gave 1 fresh handful of hay each day and free ranged him during the day so majority of his diet was grass.

I have never come across anyone else who's bun has been allergic to hay, the vet may have been correct after all! :oops:

Thanks for all the replies!

Geritie - they do have hay in their litter trays and hay racks just not as bedding.

She has a vets appointment later today so will update later! Fingers crossed for nothind too bad :?

Back