• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies Just Gone onto Grass - is this normal?

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Hiya

Well we laid some turf a few weeks ago and have now extended the bunny run so that the grass is inside it ... previously they've had pots in their run with grass in to get them used to it.

First day on the grass was yesterday and already their poops have gone a really dark colour ........... is this normal??

They're still eating their pellets and their hay but LOTS of grass also (I think they must think I'll take it away again the rate they've been going at it).

Should I stop giving them veggies as well for a few days ... or just carry on as I have been doing ....... a small handful of the SS Junior in a morning, unlimited hay throughout the day/night and a small pile of veggies in an evening .... and let them get on with the grass eating!?!

Thanks, Jo x

Is there anyway you could block off the grass bit and just give them acces to it for a few hours a day? If they haven't had grass before it might be a bit much for them. Also, if they're allowed on the grass 24/7 it probably won't last very long! It would probably be good to give it a chance to grow back.

Hhhhmmm I'll see if hubby could make something that we could put up to block it off temporarily, maybe whilst I'm at work and then let them on it once I'm home (for their tea! lol).

They've been eating the grass in the pots in their run but when they realised they had a whole area of it ..... they went bonkers! lol Its only one strip at the bottom of their run ....but you'd think I'd given them wembley they were that giddy! lol

I read somewhere on here that being on grass often gives them dark poo and its normal. Could be mistaken

Fresh grass + bunnies = darker soggier poos and no grass left in a few weeks!
My bunny runs had a floor of grass once..... there isn't a green blade left now. :roll:
Buns will need less fresh veggies with fresh grass, and will probably drink less water as there is more moisture in the grass, so don't worry if this is the case.

I asked the same question some time ago - mine were spending more time eating grass and I notice some dark, soggy poos - I freaked out and got straight on to the forum and was told the same thing!! Perfectly normal!!:wave:

Back