• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly baby rabbit...Whats wrong?

Toad

Warren Scout
Hi there,

I need some help please. My baby is 9 weeks old and I am feeding him lots of hay, a tiny bit of excel juinor and tiny bit of greens (the breeder had already started him on greens).

On Saturday morning I went out and noticed there were some sloppy poos in his poo box. I removed them and have not fed him any greens, just more hay and less excel. He seemed fine and was running around drinking and eating.

On Sunday still more sloppy poos, but still eating and drinking and running around fine.

I have just been out this morning and I have noticed he still has sloppy poos and has not touched any excel. He is still moving about his hutch and run, but seems subdue and it grinding his teeth. He is still drinking though.

Can this happen to such young bunnies that have had the stress of coming to a new home? Is there something seriously wrong?? The vet is of course the next step. But can anyone suggest anything??? :(

are the poo's soft and look a bit like grapes ? if so that is the poo he is meant to eat, but may not be eating it if he gets too much pellets

I would advise slowley weening him off Excel and on to something else such as Science Selective or Allen and Page, Excel has been known to cause sloppy poops, so this may well be the cause.
HOWEVER if he is subdued and grinding his teeth i would get him to the vets ASAP to check that it is nothing serious, as griding the teeth can mean pain.

Hiya!! Just wondering if bunny is on grass??? Sometimes it can be very rich.
I would take him to the vets personally.He sounds like hes in pain...he may have gone into stasis,started with a gassy tum.
Keep an eye out for flies and clean his bottom up, or flies will start another problem.:roll:
Dear wee mite...sending loads of vibes.xxxxx

Hi there,

I need some help please. My baby is 9 weeks old and I am feeding him lots of hay, a tiny bit of excel juinor and tiny bit of greens (the breeder had already started him on greens).

On Saturday morning I went out and noticed there were some sloppy poos in his poo box. I removed them and have not fed him any greens, just more hay and less excel. He seemed fine and was running around drinking and eating.

On Sunday still more sloppy poos, but still eating and drinking and running around fine.

I have just been out this morning and I have noticed he still has sloppy poos and has not touched any excel. He is still moving about his hutch and run, but seems subdue and it grinding his teeth. He is still drinking though.

Can this happen to such young bunnies that have had the stress of coming to a new home? Is there something seriously wrong?? The vet is of course the next step. But can anyone suggest anything??? :(

Unfortunately this is potentially very serious :cry:

He needs immediate Veterinary attention. The tooth grinding indicates severe pain and at his age he is at VERY high risk of fatal enteritis.

I would get him to a Vet now and also ask Vet about the possibility of him having Coccidiosis

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/health/coccidiosis.php

He has been out munching grass...not for huge amounts of time but maybe this is a contributor?! I have given him a little bottom bath today and wrapped him in a towl till he was dry. He has not been out today, just had loads of cuddles. He has a completely clean hutch and bum now as I am paranoid about flys.

I cannot believe I have had him for just over a week and he's not very well. I feel really :oops:

Thanks for your advise guys, keep it coming! I need some help :(

I would at the very least call your vets for advise and to ensure they do not want to see him.
It does sound like a gut slow down so it would probably be advisable to get some meds in to him via the vet.

I completely agree with Jane, vets, asap. Another possibility would be mucoid enteritis too, or cecal dysbiosis.

Please call the vets now. It you hesitate, it may be too late.

He has been out munching grass...not for huge amounts of time but maybe this is a contributor?! I have given him a little bottom bath today and wrapped him in a towl till he was dry. He has not been out today, just had loads of cuddles. He has a completely clean hutch and bum now as I am paranoid about flys.

I cannot believe I have had him for just over a week and he's not very well. I feel really :oops:

Thanks for your advise guys, keep it coming! I need some help :(

i had exactly same thing week after getting my new bunnies my poor Toto was ill for a week i noticed him pooly at weekend not eaten anything by monday and i had let mine on grass i now believe grass is too rich for them so young and i got toto to the vets asap he stayed in overnight had painkillers blood tests gut stimulant and syringe feeding and sub q fluids he took a week to recover with 24 hour nursing from me but he made it he had a huge tummy - bloat i believe and i resorted to giving him peppermint tea via a syringe and infacol it all helped and his bottom exploded and he pooped everywhere he got better then, be prepared to bring bunny indoors on heat pad or warm towels and keep close eye, vets is best option for sure keep us posted sending get well vibes

could be stress of new home too good luck

:wave: Hi guys,

I have just got back from the vet and he said that Dexter gut has slowed down and his insides are not moving. His teeth grinding due to the pain of the gut not moving and gas.

He gave him an injection to take the pain away and an injection to get his gut moving.

When we got home Dexter has started eating and drinking again :) and seems a bit more active than he was this morning. I will see how he goes through the rest of the day. The vet though it might be a mixture of over doing it and moving to a new home? He said this can often be the case in babies.

I was also wondering, I cant seem to get a good idea how much hay is being eaten. Should I get a different type of hay to see if he is more interested in it? Any suggestions to make sure he is definatley eating it?

Dexter has taken a turn for the worst today. :( He is not eating or pooing and his belly feels like a beach ball. I feel soo bad for him. :cry: On a positive note he is drinking.

I've been sitting outside with him and giving him cuddles which he seems to like. I think its best to bring him indoors now as I'm worried he will get cold. Can anyone suggest anything to make him more comfortable???

We are off to the vet at 4pm and I want to make him feel as good as possible till then. Any suggestions?:(

Dexter has taken a turn for the worst today. :( He is not eating or pooing and his belly feels like a beach ball. I feel soo bad for him. :cry: On a positive note he is drinking.

I've been sitting outside with him and giving him cuddles which he seems to like. I think its best to bring him indoors now as I'm worried he will get cold. Can anyone suggest anything to make him more comfortable???

We are off to the vet at 4pm and I want to make him feel as good as possible till then. Any suggestions?:(

To be honest I would get an emergency appointment now and get him admitted.

Good luck x

I think I will take him down there now then. I cant believe this is happening! I am so angry I cant help him! Has anyone got any experience with this illness and what is the next course of action that the vet will take?

I think I will take him down there now then. I cant believe this is happening! I am so angry I cant help him! Has anyone got any experience with this illness and what is the next course of action that the vet will take?

You are doing much more than the average bunny owner so don't beat yourself up about it. He sounds like a very loved bunny.

I don't have experience with baby bunnies, but my bunny has had stasis numerous times, we now medicate her at home.

I expect the vet will inject some fluid under the skin, will give some more pain relief, and maybe something like metclopride (sp) to stimulate the gut. Will probably keep in to force fed.

You are doing much more than the average bunny owner so don't beat yourself up about it. He sounds like a very loved bunny.

I don't have experience with baby bunnies, but my bunny has had stasis numerous times, we now medicate her at home.

I expect the vet will inject some fluid under the skin, will give some more pain relief, and maybe something like metclopride (sp) to stimulate the gut. Will probably keep in to force fed.

Thats for your support! I have had lots of pets in the past and it seems a normal course to take an old pet to the vets but having such a little baby looking so ill is horrible. :( I'm off to the vets now. I will keep you posted to whats happened.

it must be awful feeling so helpless. Sending vibes for this little one to pull through! you are doing a great job so dont feel guilty.

My bun had this, think it may be bloat i had to resort to infacol, peppermint tea being syringe fed and after days of not pooping i gave few tiny mls of Lactulose next morning poop everywhere he needs to get rid of that gas before his gut will get going again try the peppermint tea just stew a tea bag in warm water and syringe feed if you can i agree VETS ASAP keep him warm too if you can microwave heat pad if you have one or microwaved towel for him to sit on will help his tum good luck i do hope your bunny will be ok positive vibes x

So sorry to hear that Dexter is poorly:cry:
Hope it is going ok at the vets, sending loads of positive vibes your way xxx

Back