• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!? - My Rabbit Has Bald Patches!

I have noiced once again my bun has bald patches. I'm sure it is fleas or mites but I can't get rid on them! My rabbit has had this problem for a while now and is scratching alot. I've tried this Insecticidal Powder from Johnsons, it worked once before but has not work for the past few years. Plus I've bathed him a few times and still no affect.The shampoo I used was Insecticidal Shampoo from Johnsons once again :p What is the best thing for mites or fleas? Heres some pictures of him i took today:
SDC10411.jpg

Hiya. I'd definately get him checked over by a vet, especially as myxomatosis is carried by fleas. They'll be able to recommend a reliable treatment. Do you have anybun else? It'd be a good idea to take them along too.

Johnson's stuff isn't meant to be very good, can even be bad for their skin

Try Beaphar Spot-On :wave: it's probably worth taking him to the vets just to be sure, but the spot-on is more effective than what the vet gives you.

I wouldn't bathe him especially if he's struggling with some form of skin irritation, as it will dry out his skin. Rabbits don't really need bathing :wave:

If your bun has ongoing problems with fleas or mites then he really needs to see a vet - rabbits tend to get these problems flare up when they are poorly in other ways, so it's best to get him properly checked out by a vet. They will also be able to have a proper look and see if it is indeed mites and not just something like an unusual moult pattern. Some powders you can buy 'over the counter' can be quite toxic so it's better to be safe and get the 'right' product from your vet, as it doesn't sound like you've had much success so far. The product will also be different depending on whether it is fleas or mites, so the vet needs to have a look. Whatever you do, please don't try frontline as it could kill your bunny. Good luck x

Oh no, poor baby! :(
I hope this helps, but it looks like what my old collie dog had last year. He was nibbling at his fur and pulling patches of fur out himself, and looked similar to your bun. We took him straight off to the vets after trying various flea/mite products as the scratching/biting wasn't easing, and he was given an injection at the vets and it completely cleared up. It obviously took a while for his fur to completely re-grow, but it worked, so I'd advise you to take your bun to the vets tomorrow and ask what they can do to help ;)

Ps. the injection my dog was given killed fleas/mites as soon as they bit him, which obviously stopped the cause of irritation, which sounds just like what your bun needs :)

Back