• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unsure about helping!

Michelle_stt

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone.

As you know Im newish to bunnies. (I had them at 13 and I'm now 22!).

We currently have 2 lionheads. Bella & Edward. Edward is due to be neutered this week but Bella is too young.

They share a large 2 tier hutch and have the run of our huge garden.

We also have 2 spare hutches in the garage.

Someone we know, their neighbour has dutch bunnies and it had babies. Apparently one of the neighbours friends let them out whilst the dog was out.

It killed the mum and the dad and 3 of the babies. :cry:

There are 2 babies left and the owners have decided to 'get rid' in their words as they dont want a repeat of what happened.

One has been rehomed by our friend and the other hasn't got a home!

We have 2 hutches which are more than big enough and a huge garden. Im at home all day.

Iv spoke with my husband and he said the choice is mine about offering him a home with us.

Im unsure of what to do. My heart tells me to help him, I just want to be sure I have enough time for all 3 bunnies!

Could you offer a home to the bunny temporarily? Do you know how old the bunny is?
What a shame about all the other buns :cry::cry::cry:

We have been told he is 10 weeks old. A temporary home would end up being a real home! Does anyone else have more than 2 bunnies? How do you manage?

I have 7 rabbits, and yesterday, on impulse, rescued a very large rex, which takes my numbers up to 8!!! I am a 20 year old student who lives at home with my Mum, and I manage absolutely fine :D
If you have the time, which you said you do, you have a hutch big enough, which you said you do, and providing you have the money for neutering/vacs and any vet bills, I think you could easily manage another bun :D
The additional costs for food/bedding/hay etc for an extra bun is next to nothing (maybe if you end up with 8, you'll notice the difference in cost :lol:)

Have a look at my dutch, Alfie. He was also a rescue from a breeder who was "getting rid" of old stock, as with the rex, Amber, who I got yesterday.

Alfie1.jpg

He was meant to be a foster, but as you can probably guess, he stayed with me, and I have not regretted it one bit :love:

ps. Also consider that if you planned on bonding him in with Bella and Edward, and things didn't work out, would you be able to separate him and find him a wifebun? There are lots of buns wanting homes so that would be (fairly) easy, but again, it's if you want and could manage an extra extra one!

Last edited:
Could you not persuade the friend to take the other bunny too? All rabbits need a companion of their own species.

Have you got the money for neutering, etc. for an extra rabbit. You have already said you have the space. What about a trio as that would make it easier. I have 5 rabbits plus 1 foster bunny and work full time.

I have 12 buns and its hard work, but I don't mind cos I love them all to bits!!
Looking back having around 4 was a breeze:lol:

If you can afford to take him on then having 3 wont be that much more work than 2 (but I think that theory is how I ended up with 12:lol:)

Could you not persuade the friend to take the other bunny too? All rabbits need a companion of their own species.
My friend already has 4 :roll:

I have the money to look after an extra one. Bella & Edward are also insured.

Im in the middle of getting to know Bella & Edward and wondering if another would bond with me aswell as his new friends?

KTJ-Alfie is gorgeous!!!

Back