• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The secret bunny!- advice please

LolasMummy

Mama Doe
We are bunnysitting our next door neighbours secret bunny.

This bunny is secret as they live in rented and are not allowed pets! Plus they just found out the person who owns their house lives next door!!! We all live in terraced houses so thats a hard secret to have with an out doors bunny!

Anyway trying to help them with bunny. He is 1 and a bit and was living in a tiny tiny hutch so they took him and he is now in a decent hutch and has most of the day free range! However they were advised:

Big bowl of pellets every other day, hay all the time - so have advised to give him pellets daily but a lot less.

Does not need any vaccinations - explained he does!!!!

Veg on the days he doesnt have pellets - said a little daily.

He isnt neutered but is such a friendly rabbit that i am not sure this matters?? Please correct me if i am wrong.

He is also living on sawdust but i figured that i couldnt go in and say change too much.... So going to say to make it cheaper buy the really cheao hay for him to lye on and nice hay to eat??

His water bottle is green, they change his water daily but the green stays any ideas??? We have house buns so its all a bit novel caring for a outside bunny!

His poos are tiny tiny at the mo but i will work on that!!

They really want to do all they can for him and they really love him! But they have little money.

I am going to give them a load of the RWA leaflets, write down some websites to make his hay, food etc cheaper anything else you can think of?

Lau x

I have 2 secret buns :oops: I wish they weren't a secret cause it is a huge stress having to worry about them destroying the house, or the landlord finding out. But I can't tell the landlord because I can't risk having to give them up. So we do the best we can with what we have got. Thankfully the landlord thinks we are wonderful tenants which helps some :lol::lol:

Can't help much as I too have indoor buns. But I wish you the best of luck and it does sound like you are heading down the right track!

I have 2 secret buns :oops: I wish they weren't a secret cause it is a huge stress having to worry about them destroying the house, or the landlord finding out. But I can't tell the landlord because I can't risk having to give them up. So we do the best we can with what we have got. Thankfully the landlord thinks we are wonderful tenants which helps some :lol::lol:

Can't help much as I too have indoor buns. But I wish you the best of luck and it does sound like you are heading down the right track!

Must be a nightmare! How do you cope when you have inspections?

They really want to do what is best for him so thats the main thing, i just need to do it slowly with them as they are so concerned that he might not being well looked after!

I can help with the green bottle....clean it with either 1) a bottle brush or 2) put some rice in it (uncooked) and shake.The action takes of the algae.:wave:

Ahhh well done for helping them, I was going to say take them some RWA leaflets - if they are on the internet you could tell them about RU :)

For cheap cheap stuff to put in the hutch, they could use shredded paper But obviously they would still need to make sure they put in plenty of hay as well, and straw for insulation for the winter months.

I think you are probably right about not suggesting too many changes at once - but the basics of space, attention, fresh water, pellets (changed gradually if on muesli), a variety of veg, and hay....these are the main things to focus on for now. Plus vaccinations.

The green water bottle - what we do is use Milton on the bottles once a week to sterilise them, and we also keep a bottle snug on them all the time which prevents the sunlight getting to it which encourages the mouldy/mildew stuff. So if they can find something to put over it to keep the sunlight out that would help.

Sure there's lots more suggestions but you dont want to overload them just yet.

Well. The guinea pigs are indoors. So on the morning of an inspection, they and all of their hay containers, food containers, carrier, cage and other stuff get carted outdoors under the patio. Then we dismantle the buns cages and much to their disgust, they then go in a carrier underneath the piggy table. When the inspection is over, the pigs come back inside, we put the bun cage back together and let the buns go back out. It is a lot of work for a 10 min inspection. Next inspection we are going to put the buns in boarding the day before..then we can take apart their cage that afternoon which saves some work on the morning of the inspection.

Ahhh well done for helping them, I was going to say take them some RWA leaflets - if they are on the internet you could tell them about RU :)

For cheap cheap stuff to put in the hutch, they could use shredded paper But obviously they would still need to make sure they put in plenty of hay as well, and straw for insulation for the winter months.

I think you are probably right about not suggesting too many changes at once - but the basics of space, attention, fresh water, pellets (changed gradually if on muesli), a variety of veg, and hay....these are the main things to focus on for now. Plus vaccinations.

The green water bottle - what we do is use Milton on the bottles once a week to sterilise them, and we also keep a bottle snug on them all the time which prevents the sunlight getting to it which encourages the mouldy/mildew stuff. So if they can find something to put over it to keep the sunlight out that would help.

Sure there's lots more suggestions but you dont want to overload them just yet.

Thank you for all that. They are doing really well with 99% but its just the odd bits that i will help them with.

He is such a friendly boy!

Well. The guinea pigs are indoors. So on the morning of an inspection, they and all of their hay containers, food containers, carrier, cage and other stuff get carted outdoors under the patio. Then we dismantle the buns cages and much to their disgust, they then go in a carrier underneath the piggy table. When the inspection is over, the pigs come back inside, we put the bun cage back together and let the buns go back out. It is a lot of work for a 10 min inspection. Next inspection we are going to put the buns in boarding the day before..then we can take apart their cage that afternoon which saves some work on the morning of the inspection.

Wow what a nightmare! Hope you dont have inspections a lot!!!

Boarding sounds easier.

We had a hamster when we were renting and we used to put him in a cupboard when they came to inspect but he seemed to know they were there so would squeak and bite / scratch everything! In the end he had to go in the car when they came round!!

We are bunnysitting our next door neighbours secret bunny.

This bunny is secret as they live in rented and are not allowed pets! Plus they just found out the person who owns their house lives next door!!! We all live in terraced houses so thats a hard secret to have with an out doors bunny!

Anyway trying to help them with bunny. He is 1 and a bit and was living in a tiny tiny hutch so they took him and he is now in a decent hutch and has most of the day free range! However they were advised:

Big bowl of pellets every other day, hay all the time - so have advised to give him pellets daily but a lot less.

Does not need any vaccinations - explained he does!!!!

Veg on the days he doesnt have pellets - said a little daily.

He isnt neutered but is such a friendly rabbit that i am not sure this matters?? Please correct me if i am wrong.

He is also living on sawdust but i figured that i couldnt go in and say change too much.... So going to say to make it cheaper buy the really cheao hay for him to lye on and nice hay to eat??

His water bottle is green, they change his water daily but the green stays any ideas??? We have house buns so its all a bit novel caring for a outside bunny!

His poos are tiny tiny at the mo but i will work on that!!

They really want to do all they can for him and they really love him! But they have little money.

I am going to give them a load of the RWA leaflets, write down some websites to make his hay, food etc cheaper anything else you can think of?

Lau x

grass will make poopssmal;ler so dont worry if he wats more grass than hay i dont know why but its fine. re green bottle rice a small amount in the bottle add quater of bottle of water and shake it for a minuite or so then rinse out rice and water repeat if nessacery do this every time bottle starts to look greeen! :) x

grass will make poopssmal;ler so dont worry if he wats more grass than hay i dont know why but its fine. re green bottle rice a small amount in the bottle add quater of bottle of water and shake it for a minuite or so then rinse out rice and water repeat if nessacery do this every time bottle starts to look greeen! :) x

Thanks :) He isnt on grass? I have never seen such tiny poos - smaller than peas. Lola has tiny ones and always has depite eating lots of hay but his are so very small.

Back