• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sad for Us, Happy for Fay

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry this is a bit long...

Fay has lived with us since November 2009, she came from the RSPCA after being dumped in a field with other bunnies, whilst pregnant. At the same time we got Starbuck, who was also an abandoned bunny. Their bond failed after they had a nasty fight...

Since then Fay has lived on her own in our spare bedroom, and has delighted us constantly with her beautiful antics...when we come upstairs there is always a twitching nose and hopeful mouth waiting to greet us, on weekends she loves to jump on our bed.

But we were sad for Fay because we worked full-time and during the day - and sometimes for parts of the evening - she would be on her own. She showed us that she was bored by digging in her base and digging the carpet and generally getting up to all sorts of mischief. This spring she pulled her fur out from under her chin - not her dewlap as such.

So we knew we needed to get her a friend.

We spotted lovely Kenco who is a dental bunny and is over 6 years old. He has been in rescue for 9 months and there was something about him that made us think a) he is beautiful and b) he might get on with Miss Fay. We knew we could offer him a home with us, if they could be bonded.

Last Wednesday they came home to us, and it is obvious they are in love. Fay is so relaxed and happy - no digging no boredom, she has a handsome man to chill out with. They are lovely to watch together as they really do love each other.

But the sad part is that, although we think Kenco was a housebunny before he was surrendered to rescue, he hasnt been able to get the grip of toilet training!! We did know this before we took him on, so its not unexpected. Think we just hoped he would learn from Miss Fay....or that it wouldnt be that bad....but it is!! :lol::oops: The poor little man seemingly has no control over either wee wees or poos, including all over Fay's hay (he's not a big hay eater).....we've persevered (for all of 5 days!! :lol:) but its not getting any better and I dont think it will.

So my husband is currently drawing up plans to build a new kennel for them with run attached for the garden. We only have a small garden so its difficult to try to give them as much space as they have in the house but we will do our best to give them as much as we can.

This morning I stroked Miss Fay and I cried, not for her as she is happy, but for me. I will miss seeing her cheeky little face as I come upstairs, I will miss her jumping on the bed. But we cant have wee all round the house either. :cry: I told her I loved her...as I did so she stretched her face up to mine and I kissed her on the nose. Then she went back to grooming Kenco - and I knew that we have made the right decision for her and for him.

Its quite hard to be selfless, as I want her all to myself.:cry::cry: But she is happier now than she has ever been :D:D And we have gained a lovely new member to our warren - Kenco is :love: But I will miss the sound of paws in the bedroom.

Thats all I want to say. Thanks for reading.

Awww....bless you!!

Ever since Petal got Frank to keep her company, I was dispensed with. They're happiest with other buns though, so it is a consolation :)

You soppy bunny mummy!!! Never mind.......all will be ok for Fay and her man.
Thats the most important thing.
Chin up love!!!!!!

I know it will be fine and I know I am being soppy, but it was just the realisation that we have got so used to having her to ourself and doing all these funny things that now there is the likelihood she is going outside I will miss all that stuff.

Silly me!! Hubby cried too!! :lol:

Kenco is such a darling, a real softie. He just sat and I stroked him at the base of his ears for ages just then....so we are lucky to have a new handsome cutey bun.

OH reckons actually they will have even more space when outside! yay!

Thanks for reading - it was quite a long post!!!

aww Fay will still love you just as much and she will still surprise you with her antics - cheeky little madam.
I felt exactly the same when I put Sooty and Oreo outside - Yes I miss them but its lovely to sit in the garden and watch them getting up to trouble, sat in the sun and cozying up together :love:

Im sure you have made Fay very happy :D

Aaaww but you know you're doing the right thing...and when you watch them in their new kennel together it will help.
Need to see piccies when they've moved :D

Thanks guys....we think she is probably an outdoor bunny at heart anyway as she has very natural instincts...

Yes she is very happy and so is he, and I am sure they will love being outside - I worry about them being indoors when we are at work anyway as we cant leave the windows open...

So its probably the best solution anyway...

(God knows though how long this kennel will take to make!!!)

Yeah and the best bit is that I can now start to work on persuading OH about a girl friend for Starbuck!!! Hee hee!!

(Further down the line of course and she will have to be litter trained as otherwise there will be no garden whatsoever).

I think OH was worried that the house would be overrun with 4 bunnies but if its only going to be 2 (ie Starbuck +1) he is more inclined to go for it....

So I suppose you could say its a plan thats all coming together!! Lol!!!

OH keeps wandering around everywhere with a tape measure and measuring random things....I can hear the clogs working.... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back