• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Paranoid,irrational STOOPID Bunny Mummy

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
All morning have been in a bit of a tizzy.
Last night I spied Lily Shane absolutely flat out, eyes shut, fast asleep at about 1am.So I woke her.:oops:
Never before have I seen Lily lay down in the year that Ive had her with me, than what I have in the last few weeks.
Her back legs arent working properly due to her spine and shes on 0.6 of metacam daily.
Its because shes hot...have got a fan now,and Im plucking her constantly to help her rid her coat.
I just cant help it.Im so worried this could be the start of the end....God forbid if I lose her.

Oh yvette, are you sure it isnt the heat, both mine have been flat out and dozy the past two days. xxxxxxx

Rabbits really do make us paranoid don't they? :shock::oops:

I'm sure it's just the heat. Amber hardly ever streches out but has been doing it a fair bit over the last couple of days;)

(Lots of vibes just in case though)

Im positive it is, remember i told you charlie isnt a relaxed floppy bun? well yesterday and today he is totally out of it, he`s floppy, dozy and sleepy, not like charlie at all, im sure its the heat. xxxxxxx

Yvette, it's definitely the heat, & it's soooo good she can do that.
She looks kind of bigger doesn't she? as if there's more of her?
It's one of the ways they lose heat, stretching out to increase their surface area. They don't move around much either cos that burns energy & heats them up more.
I soooo wish it would cool down too.

How is her breathing? We lost all our curved spine bunnies to sudden breathing problems and now there is the added stress of this terrible heat :(

Have you got an icepod Yvette?

I have a spare one I could send you for Lily. Or you could try putting bottles of frozen water in her cage for her to lie against. (wrap them in a teatowel)

awwww i hope shes ok, my para is the opposite, i havent seen Holly lie down for weeks now (infact since the had the VHD Jab 3 weeks ago) i dunno why every time i see her shes sitting up even when shes sleeping :( and shes not flopped or laydown full stretch neither :(

i think it has to be the heat affecting our poor buns and making us over paranoid :(

Im just being paranoid and irrational.
It IS the heat.......isnt it????

Dont worry, you have every right to be. Mimis been laying out flat ever since the hot weather came and at first I was hugely paranoid as Id never seen her do it before either.

Its almost definatly just the heat hun so try not to worry too much :)

Please listen to Hugo's There. I do not have experience of a bun with curvature of the spine.

The problem with a curved spine is that it severely compromises the chest cavity as it curves round. As you know a rabbits chest cavity is tiny in comparison in the first place, so a further decrease of this space can cause all sorts of problems :( Add the heat to that and the potential isn't good.

I am not trying to frighten anyone, just make you aware of the possibilities.

It can happen so quickly too. Last year Tegan was hopping round the lounge happily, 15 minutes later she was gone, her chest suddenly filled with fluid. we lost Gideon last sunday, he had a curved spine but also other complications :( But the heat definately brought worsened those problems. Mnay bunnies with curved spines do have other issues.

Unfortunately there is little we can do for them, but I did suggest the sock thing in another thread because if the front is raised it does help their little chests

Back