• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Noel - letting little bits of wee out everywhere

lja401

Warren Scout
Hi all,

We have a dwarf lop called Noel who is normally brilliant with his litter tray, however today he let out some poos on the carpet in the lounge and is letting tiny drops of wee out everywhere. I am worried that this is a bad sign.

He also seems to be eating a lot of his poos - more than usual I think. Am very worried about him because he has NEVER poo'd or wee'd anywhere other than his litter tray and we've had him 7 months.

He has been neutered and he will be 1 in August.

Can anyone shed any light?
Thanks.
xx

If it is as you say 'Little drops' so he is not emptying his bladder fully then I would be inclided to take him to the vets to check for cystitis and any bladder infections.

That's what I was worried about that he may have a bladder infection - it's just not like him doing that all over the place and he doesn't really seem himself :-(

Yeh it sounds like it could be a bladder or urinary tract infection so Id get him to the vets. If you can get a urine sample that would be helpful to the vet. Maybe try taking the litter out of his tray and see if he wees in there so that you can pour some into an egg cup or something small. Ive never had to get one myself so I dont know if it will work. And dont worry if you cant of course, I can imagine it to be nigh on impossible with my buns!

Bladder infections can be very painful so keep an eye on his eating and make sure hes drinking plenty of water.

hope he feels better soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

Noel went to the vets and has been given some anti biotics. The vet is hoping that will clear up the problem, however he said it could be something more serious. He as to go back on Wednesday for a check up and may have to have some blood taken. I didn't go with him because I was working, however this serious horrible thing he said is present in 25% of rabbits and they can get it from hay. What does he mean? Am worried :( Although Noel is eating and drinking so that is surely a good sign?

xx

Hi all,

Noel went to the vets and has been given some anti biotics. The vet is hoping that will clear up the problem, however he said it could be something more serious. He as to go back on Wednesday for a check up and may have to have some blood taken. I didn't go with him because I was working, however this serious horrible thing he said is present in 25% of rabbits and they can get it from hay. What does he mean? Am worried :( Although Noel is eating and drinking so that is surely a good sign?

xx

I dont know, but thought I would bump this for you!

Thank you.

Anybody got any ideas? He's going back to the vet tomorrow to have a blood test - how long do results normally take?

Thank you very much :)

Vet said his ears were a bit hot - guess he must still have a temperature sadly :( Just really want him to be ok. He is such a lovely gentle rabbit. x

Back