• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about Noel - letting little bits of wee out everywhere UD - suspected EC :-(

lja401

Warren Scout
Hi all,

We have a dwarf lop called Noel who is normally brilliant with his litter tray, however today he let out some poos on the carpet in the lounge and is letting tiny drops of wee out everywhere. I am worried that this is a bad sign.

Can anyone shed any light?
Thanks.
xx

Last edited:
He also seems to be eating a lot of his poos - more than usual I think. Am very worried about him because he has NEVER poo'd or wee'd anywhere other than his litter tray and we've had him 7 months.

To be honest sometimes my two sort of run out of the tray and leave a few spots of wee too, the eating poo is totally normal both mine do it its what they should be doing.xx

It could be behavioural, or it could be physical.

Its always worth eliminating the physical cause first (so things like UTIs, etc). Is he behaving any different in any other way? Fidgety? Drinking more/less?

Is he eating his cecotropes, or do you mean he is eating the pea sized dry ones?

Behaviourally, have you had anyone else in the space he is in? especially anyone new to him?

He is eating his soft and hard poos. He seems a bit subjued - just not his normal self. He seems to be eating, drinking and cleaning as normal. No one new has been in his area.

It could be the hot weather? a lot of our buns are suffering because of the heat, is he sitting hunched up or look in pain? xx

I've found that rabbits can eat their fecals when they feel rough, so that may be an indication something is not right. The fact you can see he is not normal is a good indication that he should get checked out. Trust yourself and your gut instinct.

Blue did this at about the same age. Following xrays it showed he had a build up of chrystalised calcium in his bladder. He had to have an op to have it all removed and is now on a restricted calcium diet and filtered water.
Definately worth getting him to the vets ASAP.
Hope all goes well.

Hi all,

Noel went to the vets and has been given some anti biotics. The vet is hoping that will clear up the problem, however he said it could be something more serious. He as to go back on Wednesday for a check up and may have to have some blood taken. I didn't go with him because I was working, however this serious horrible thing he said is present in 25% of rabbits and they can get it from hay. What does he mean? Am worried :( Although Noel is eating and drinking so that is surely a good sign?

xx

just bumping it up really,did the vet mention EC??? around 50% of bunnies have been exposed to EC but the majority appear well and have no problems.Hay doesnt cause it [unless a bunny with Ec had pu'd on the hay and then there may be spores present[???]:?Hopefully someone more useful will see this and answer it better for you.

I thought it may be EC from reading about it and from what the vet said. He does seem to be a bit better this evening though. The vet said it could be a urine infection.

He seems a little bit better thank you. He jumped up on the window sill which he hasn't done for a few days and his ears don't feel as hot as they did a couple of days ago. He's going back to the vet tomorrow to have a blood test - how long do results normally take?

Hi :wave:
Not sure how long blood tests take. Just bear in mind that around 70% of buns are thought to have been exposed to EC at some point in their lives. As a result this would show up ona blood test but doesnt necessarily men that EC is the cause of a problem, as alot of buns never experience any problems from it.
I think an infection will show up on the blood test though and its worth treating for EC if it show up anyway :)
Loads more vibes xxx

Back