• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Show rabbit tags

KTJ

Alpha Buck
I took on an ex breeding doe yesterday who also used to be a show rabbit and has one of those metal silver bands round her back right leg. Does anyone know the safest way to remove it? Is it as simple as using a pair of plyers? I will not be attempting to remove it until my Mum gets home from work as it will take atleast 2 people because she is a very big bunny and I do not want to risk hurting her.
I wanted to wait until she trusted me a bit more, and would be more willing to let me hold her, but I think that will take a long time, and I just want it off her now :(
Thanks in advance for any replies :)

you can buy special ring cutters and do it yourself (will see if i can find a link), or you can take to vet and they should be able to do it:)

The vet should be able to do it. You need proper wire cutters, ring cutters or tin snips to do it yourself.

Thank you for your replies, I will take her to the vets tomorrow then. I planned on doing that anyway to get her registered and checked over, so that works out well :D Do you know what age they usually put the rings on at? I've never seen a rabbit with a tag on before, and I'm just interested in it, as it's something I don't know anything about :)

Depends on the breed when the put it on. Nethies usually ahve to have the rings on at about 6 weeks old as any older and it wont go on :lol:
But i know belgium hares you can just slip the ring off even when fully grown.

not too sure about rexes

I bet she will be glad to see the back of that ring. Glad she has a second chance to enjoy being a bunny now :love:

Yeah, some breeds fill out quickly and need to be rung at about 6 weeks, but like Vivien said, with some breeds, the rings will slip on/off, or will come off/go on if you put a bit of lubricant on the rabbits leg. There are some very interesting methods of removing rings :lol:

I think I'll wait until I take her to the vets tomorrow and they can attempt to take it off ;)
If they put the rings on the buns legs as early as 6 weeks, how on earth does it still fit when they are fully grown?! Or do they get changed as the bun gets bigger/older? I tried to put myself in Amber/Velvet's position, and I think it would be like someone putting a bracelet on my wrist/ankle, and being told to wear it for a few years. I think it would get really annoying, especially as the band on the bun is hard metal!
This is Amber with the tag thing on.....

Velvet1.jpg

I think she'll look even prettier without it on :love:

Thankyou for the kind comments about me taking Amber/Velvet on... she was acquired on complete impulse and I don't know if she'll be staying with me forever, I may find her forever home with someone I know, but either way, I just knew I had to get her out, and whether she stays with me or not, I just know she'll be much happier :love:

they put the rings on young as the ankle joint would get too big for the ring to fit over. Its kindof like pigeons. As long as the ring is checked and turned everyday to make sure it still fits, they dont mind it at all and seem to completly ignore it :lol:
its a way of identification, so rabbits arnt mixed up, and are easier to find if gone missing.

My vet removed Apollo's ring when he was nuetered - that way it was less stressful for him as he was already asleep.

they put the rings on young as the ankle joint would get too big for the ring to fit over. Its kindof like pigeons. As long as the ring is checked and turned everyday to make sure it still fits, they dont mind it at all and seem to completly ignore it :lol:
its a way of identification, so rabbits arnt mixed up, and are easier to find if gone missing.

Thanks for your info Vee-Jay, Amber's old owners didn't tell me to turn it every day, I wouldn't have known otherwise :( I'll go and make sure it's ok, but hopefully it'll be coming off tomorrow anyway :D I suppose a metal band round her ankle is a better means of identification than a tag through her ear like with sheep and cows :shock:
I take it you have show rabbits? or do you just know a lot about it? I know hardly anything about show rabbits/breeding rabbits, all I do know is that the way the people handled Amber and the tiny little hutch she was in was disgraceful :evil: but I am sure not all breeders/show rabbit owners are like that :)

Thanks for your info Vee-Jay, Amber's old owners didn't tell me to turn it every day, I wouldn't have known otherwise :( I'll go and make sure it's ok, but hopefully it'll be coming off tomorrow anyway :D I suppose a metal band round her ankle is a better means of identification than a tag through her ear like with sheep and cows :shock:
I take it you have show rabbits? or do you just know a lot about it? I know hardly anything about show rabbits/breeding rabbits, all I do know is that the way the people handled Amber and the tiny little hutch she was in was disgraceful :evil: but I am sure not all breeders/show rabbit owners are like that :)

Yeh, if she isnt going to be shown is best to get it off.
I breed (though dont actually have a breeding bun with me at the moment :lol:), I have been to a few shows with some buns so know a fair bit about it.
Yes, i think the rings are quite a good way of doing it really, fast an easy to read thier identification number, so you know were each rabbit is at all times. I know in US they tattoo the number onto thier ears, so yes, i think rings are easier :lol:
no, thankfully not all breeders are like that:)
Sometimes though, especially at shows, rabbits are held in a way that may look like they are getitng held by the ears, but the judges are actually holding/supporting the head while the other hand is supporting the rear.

OMG :censored: evil US people :evil: That is just disgusting.
I chose to have a tatoo on my right thigh, and it hurt. I dread to think what it would feel like for a poor little rabbit to be basically branded on their ears :cry:
I did go and check Amber's metal band, and it is way too tight :evil: I tried to turn it and she snatched her leg away from me. I think if it was actually hurting her, she'd be biting at it, or limping, so she can't be in that much discomfort, but either way, it's coming off tomorrow, I just hope my vets are able to borrow a couple of the nurses, because she's such a big girl and VERY strong! Is the tag meant to be easy to twist? Amber's isn't :?

OMG :censored: evil US people :evil: That is just disgusting.
I chose to have a tatoo on my right thigh, and it hurt. I dread to think what it would feel like for a poor little rabbit to be basically branded on their ears :cry:
I did go and check Amber's metal band, and it is way too tight :evil: I tried to turn it and she snatched her leg away from me. I think if it was actually hurting her, she'd be biting at it, or limping, so she can't be in that much discomfort, but either way, it's coming off tomorrow, I just hope my vets are able to borrow a couple of the nurses, because she's such a big girl and VERY strong! Is the tag meant to be easy to twist? Amber's isn't :?

If it did hurt the rabbit a lot, I would imagine they would try move away, messing up the tattoo. Some people numb the ear first anyway.

The ring should turn round, but it might feet a bit tighter if she's tensing up her leg

Back