• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
I am stressing big time. I hate dogs. Always have. Made worse now because of the rabbits.

I live in a terraced house with small 30ft back gardens. One side of me has a rotweiller :evil:. It is left in the garden a lot and paces up and down the fence when it hears me outside. The bunnies can hear and sense it is there and are frightened a lot of the time. I cant move the bunnies anywhere else.

Now the other side have got a terrier type dog :evil: and that barks the minute I step foot into the garden, I can hear it sniffing and snorting at my fence... my cats know it is there and start to hiss and fight the fence... the dog is starting to dig under the fence.. I can see its paws as it is digging.. again this is scaring the bunnies..

I hate dogs. I hate the pikey scum neighbours (both sides) that own these dogs.... I am stressed out every day thinking they are gonna get in my garden and I am going to come home to dead bunnies :cry:

Luckily my dog and rabbit get on fine and whether it be my dog or another dog Pip isnt phased one bit! Although saying that I would never ever leave my rabbit with my dog unsupervised, he is a terrier after all!

Poor you not nice to feel uneasy and scared for you pets in your own home!:(

Have you said anything to the neighbour who's dog is digging?

Luckily my dog and rabbit get on fine and whether it be my dog or another dog Pip isnt phased one bit! Although saying that I would never ever leave my rabbit with my dog unsupervised, he is a terrier after all!

Poor you not nice to feel uneasy and scared for you pets in your own home!:(

Have you said anything to the neighbour who's dog is digging?

I havent said anything yet.. they are organising a christening for today in their back garden :roll: They are two teenage couples living in the house and one couple has a kid :roll:

They are loud, abusive and swear all the time... I dont find talking to these sort of people too enthralling :evil:

They know it is digging cos I hear her shout "dont Toby"... but that is all she does.

Its a shame you hate dogs:( All you can do if your worried is make sure your runs are secure,My dogs arnt any problems with my rabbbits,I just get the neighbourhood cats in my garden annoying my rabbits!!!!!!!

This would be worst nightmare. I hate dogs (sorry doglovers) but I hate irresponsibile owners more. If they are unapproachable then I don't really know what would be best to do. Can you put in a better fence like the ones with the concrete base panels although I know this might be expensive. Just try to make you hutch and run as secure as possible. I feel for you :(

This would be worst nightmare. I hate dogs (sorry doglovers) but I hate irresponsibile owners more. If they are unapproachable then I don't really know what would be best to do. Can you put in a better fence like the ones with the concrete base panels although I know this might be expensive. Just try to make you hutch and run as secure as possible. I feel for you :(

I was getting so stressed yesterday that I was thinking evil thoughts towards the dog.. like hurting its paws as they were digging... I was thinking how I could do it... I didnt.. but it is getting to me that much that I was thinking of ways to hurt the dog.

I was getting so stressed yesterday that I was thinking evil thoughts towards the dog.. like hurting its paws as they were digging... I was thinking how I could do it... I didnt.. but it is getting to me that much that I was thinking of ways to hurt the dog.

I think you need to go speak to the owner as hard as it may be and just explain how you feel and suggest them putting something where the dog is digging, not sure what but somthing that can go deep in the ground! You dont need to be confrontatational just explain calmly!

I don't like dogs either so would be very worried too.

I think the only option available, unfortunately, is to go and have a quiet word with them.

Completely understand. Could you put some bricks or something against the fence where it's digging?

I don't know whether it would help but you could tip a bucket of water over the paws as they appear? It must be really worrying for you, I'm sorry. :(

Thats really bad that you were actually thinking of doing that, I can fully appreciate how your feeling but, it really isn't the dogs fault, you do need to have a word with them about it, and make it clear that it is their responsibility to control their dog, if it comes onto your property in anyway including the paws under the fence that is not acceptable and they are not containing the animal properly. Dogs will sense hostility and fear aswell, the best thing you could do when your feeling very stressed like that is make some noise, make your presence felt, hose the garden and if you really want to stop it digging just shouting NO! Firmly and so that the neighbours hear you might be enough, keeping it in and letting it get to you like this isn't good for you or the rabbits they will sense it, providing your hutches and runs are secure enough for foxes the dogs won't be able to get to the rabbits, you could always get some trellis or willow fencing panels to add more security or height ? Edited to add it might be better to keep your feelings about dogs hidden aswell, better sometimes to play these people and have them dancing to your tune if you see what I mean - even if it means making friends with the dogs and saying how beautiful they are - to win the owners round, dogs are very intuitive and the rotweiller will sense you on the other side of the fence listening to it, it will un-nerve the dog, far better to be relaxed and confident around dogs.

Last edited:
I have 2 dogs and do love them. Mine are fine with my bunnies but you are right to be on your guard. Next door's dog dug under my fence and killed one of my buns. I would talk to the neighbours if I were you as a terrier breed is not going to give up easily. My neighbours were apologetic but did nothing about it really. I put the willow screening up and dug it into the ground first then lined the fence with slabs my side to make it more difficult. Or at least for it to take longer so I know she is coming. Hosepipes work well, use that. If they have a dog they are likely to be animal lovers but probably haven't realised the stress they are causing. Stay calm and have a chat you never know they may be foul mouthed but reasonable. Good luck xx

I'm a dog lover/owner BUT I can fully appreciate your concern here - your first thought is (and has to be) for the safety of your bunnies. I can't see any solution that isn't going to cost you money I'm afraid. I would ensure my rabbit's accommodation is as secure as possible and then I'd start to look at my fences. If you can dig the fences down into the ground so that the dogs can't get under - or lay slabs along the bottom of the fence. I would try to have a word with your neighbours but they don't sound like very nice people so I daresay it'll have no effect. So ultimately if they won't do anything to control their dogs, as unfair as it is, it's up to you to make sure your garden is as secure as possible.

I am stressing big time. I hate dogs. Always have. Made worse now because of the rabbits.

I live in a terraced house with small 30ft back gardens. One side of me has a rotweiller :evil:. It is left in the garden a lot and paces up and down the fence when it hears me outside. The bunnies can hear and sense it is there and are frightened a lot of the time. I cant move the bunnies anywhere else.

Now the other side have got a terrier type dog :evil: and that barks the minute I step foot into the garden, I can hear it sniffing and snorting at my fence... my cats know it is there and start to hiss and fight the fence... the dog is starting to dig under the fence.. I can see its paws as it is digging.. again this is scaring the bunnies..

I hate dogs. I hate the pikey scum neighbours (both sides) that own these dogs.... I am stressed out every day thinking they are gonna get in my garden and I am going to come home to dead bunnies :cry:

you have my sympathy. my bunnies are indoors and i can't consider putting them outside due to local dogs (and foxes). if they go out at all this summer it will only be with my supervision.

i don't dislike most dogs but dog owners are so unrealistic about them! like the woman who let her two rottweilers jump up at my then-four-year-old daughter and me as she called out 'they won't hurt you they're just being friendly!' she had leads in her hands but the dogs were off them. fortunately my daughter at least was well trained and when i said 'absolutely still, look at me, not them' she did as she was told.wasn't there someone on here whose dogs were just waiting to make a meal of her rabbits, and ate them in the conservatory? there are some dogs i find particularly ugly (staffies for example) but that's just a matter of personal taste.

my ex neighbour had five jack russells, who would bark, yap and snap at my heels whenever i stepped out of the front door. i found a (very) loud 'go away!' had them running crying back to their owner. 'oh,' he said you're scaring my dogs!' so i told him what his dogs were like and he kept them under control after that.

do put something heavy where the dog is digging. don't harm the dog (but have your emergency plan ready in case of attack).

you have my sympathy. my bunnies are indoors and i can't consider putting them outside due to local dogs (and foxes). if they go out at all this summer it will only be with my supervision.

i don't dislike most dogs but dog owners are so unrealistic about them! like the woman who let her two rottweilers jump up at my then-four-year-old daughter and me as she called out 'they won't hurt you they're just being friendly!' she had leads in her hands but the dogs were off them. fortunately my daughter at least was well trained and when i said 'absolutely still, look at me, not them' she did as she was told.wasn't there someone on here whose dogs were just waiting to make a meal of her rabbits, and ate them in the conservatory? there are some dogs i find particularly ugly (staffies for example) but that's just a matter of personal taste.

my ex neighbour had five jack russells, who would bark, yap and snap at my heels whenever i stepped out of the front door. i found a (very) loud 'go away!' had them running crying back to their owner. 'oh,' he said you're scaring my dogs!' so i told him what his dogs were like and he kept them under control after that.

do put something heavy where the dog is digging. don't harm the dog (but have your emergency plan ready in case of attack).

Thats a really helpful comment :roll: You need to keep perspective aswell, they aren't wild dogs they are domestic pets and probably can hear and smell each other with the OP unfortunately like piggy in the middle, it's usually curiosity with dogs, the smell etc as long as you have made your rabbits accomodation and runs secure enough from foxes - dogs won't be able to get to them either.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
http://puppydogweb.com/gallery/staffordshirebullterriers/staffordshirebullterrier_kemp.jpg

Last edited:
Can i ask your reasons for hating dogs? As an animal lover i cant understand someone hating a dog?:?

I find them vile. Slobbering, smelly things with sharp teeth. I just dont understand why anyone would want an animal in their house that can kill. You might as well have a tiger.

My son was in a friends garden when a dog jumped from the neighbours garden... took his friends calf off.... cornered the three kids, who managed to escape by smashing a chair over the dog's head...

Wonder why I hate dogs? :?

I am confident my bunnies accommodation is strong enough.. just worry a barking snarling animal suddenly appearing might frighten them to death :cry:

I find them vile. Slobbering, smelly things with sharp teeth. I just dont understand why anyone would want an animal in their house that can kill. You might as well have a tiger.
Most breeds aren't slobbery. If the dog is healthy and well cared for it shouldn't smell and their jaws can do a lot of damage but their teeth aren't generally any sharper than ours unless they're puppies.

My son was in a friends garden when a dog jumped from the neighbours garden... took his friends calf off.... cornered the three kids, who managed to escape by smashing a chair over the dog's head...

Wonder why I hate dogs? :?
That is terrible but it's not typical of dogs at all. The fault there lies with the owners for not training their dog and possibly with the breeder for breeding from a bad line if that's the case.

If your neighbours are not the sort you can talk to I would dig out around the fence and put some wire netting or concrete slabs down so that neither dog can dig in. Possibly go over and familiarise yourself with the dogs - it's possible the rottie is barking at you because you're the unknown. The terrier may be digging because he can smell your bunnies so go over there wearing something that smells like them so he'll think it's just a funny smelling human.
These things may not work but it's worth a try.

Failing that I would consider moving house. It sounds quite a stressful situation and although I'm a dog lover I certainly wouldn't like to be in your position. Not least because of the neighbours swearing and being loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back