• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lop wont stop drinking

Louise G

Warren Scout
A few months ago we took on an unwanted Dwarf lop. He is about 2 years old and has been neutered but when we got him he was obese. He was fed 6 bowls of food a day and kept confined in a tiny filthy hutch. He is about the right weight now and we feed him on burgess excel light rabbit nuggets and plenty of hay but my major concern is how much he drinks and passes urine. His urine is practically clear and he wets his litter tray so much. whenever he sees water he hops over and downs as much as he can like hes desperatly thirsty and empties a giant rabbit bottle in a day and a bit.

A few days ago he has a white discharge in one side of his nose and I wiped it and havent seen anything since but have noticed he seems a bit snuffly at times. He is booked into the vets tomorrow but Im worried they will say hes diabetic or his liver/kidneys are damaged and hes only a baby. My mum is angry because we have had so many vets trips lately over rabbits other people have mistreated and Im spending a lot of time fussing over them rather than the two we have had since babies that are ten and a half :S x

If he's been on 6 bowls of mix/pellets a day then he can't have eaten much hay. Probably worth getting the vet to have a look at his teeth as drinking a lot can be a sign of dental problems.

Doesn't sound good although the weather has been exceptionally warm and he may be used to eating a lot and feeling full all the time, he may just be doing it because he can - he knows he will get more now bless him, maybe before he had to ration it and wasn't cleaned out, he has had a change in diet too, it might settle down. I adopted a little rex and he had a milky discharge coming from his eyes, he was prescribed fucithalmic eye ointment with a view to flushing his eyes when he went in for neutering if no improvement, luckily I only applied the ointment a few times and in between just cleaned them with cooled boiled water and he was fine, I think stress can play a big part in a lot of behavioural issues. Fingers crossed for you it's nothing major.

It could be physical or emotional/behavioural problems causing this. I think its probably smart to rule out physical problems first.

I have a girl who drinks like a horse because previously she went through a time where she couldn't drink (at the rescue centre she was given a bottle but clearly had never had one before and didn't know what to do with it).

I would also suggest giving a big bowl because that can make it easier if it is physical.

My lop drinks a lot, he gets through at least a bottle of water a day. When I got him he had spurs, so I don't think he ever had hay or proper food (he was rescued from what they think was a backyard breeder :(). The spurs are gone now but he still drinks a lot x

Back