• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your tips to keeping pets cool...

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
I thought we all list our tips on how to keep rabbits (and other pets) cool in this heat.

I'll go first...

Wet their ears

Certainly not what one man said he was going to do with his guinea pigs when him and his girlfriend were buying some googies from us today. Gf wanted to buy an icepod and he said what on earth for, why not just put the pigs on a shelf in the fridge for half an hour with some veg for them to eat - does the same job:roll: The sad thing is , he was perfectly serious:evil:

because the room is carpeted i have marble tiles which alvin loves.

i put iced bottles touching the carrier so its a cool place for them to go

i have draped a wet towel over the cage with a fan behind it, but leaving a fan unattended while im at work scares me

i put the air con on for an hour before work, which allows comfortable munching time for an hour or so and then when i get home i put it back on, because that requires the window open i watch the camera for burgulars while im down stairs :oops::oops:

i keep the curtains closed while im at work

the temp in the bunny room is regulary up at 25-29 degrees and apart from Alvins crazy fur losing they seem not to notice the heat at all :?

Certainly not what one man said he was going to do with his guinea pigs when him and his girlfriend were buying some googies from us today. Gf wanted to buy an icepod and he said what on earth for, why not just put the pigs on a shelf in the fridge for half an hour with some veg for them to eat - does the same job:roll: The sad thing is , he was perfectly serious:evil:

Although the fact that this guy was serious is NOT funny, the mental of image of some pigs lined up on a shelf in my fridge eating vegetables is making me smile!

I've moved the rabbits to then end of the garden, which is a shame that I can't see them properly from the kitchen window anymore, but the end of the garden is shady and cool, so much better for them. The sun only shines directly on them for about an hour, at the most, at around 6pm-ish, at which point I usually let them out. I give them an icepod to lounge on in the day too, which they take full advantage of. I know it's cool up there because they're bowl of water is always cool. Currently covered in a layer of fluff:roll:, and having to be regularly replaced, but cool!

The ferrets are up there too, and also have their own icepod and bowl of water, and I have had a custom hammock made for the rats (who live indoors), which has a sort of pocket in it which I can put their icepod in too! It's pretty fab, I have to say.

I'm a big fan of Icepods!

xxx

whats wrong with fridge cooling :angel: :angel: :angel:

P6050005.jpg

hehe thats funny!

I have just poured a little bit of water on Mylos nose to cool him down a bit, it was only a tiny bit and the silly billy rubbed it all over his head and face and now looks like hes been drowned!!!!:roll::roll:

I'm not sure what to do with my girls to keep them cool - have tried the frozen bottled water but they just chew the bottles - I'd be worried about them ingesting the plastic and it causing problems :(

thats really made me laugh, poor boy fancy misjudging the selve, hows his pride :lol:

obviously it was my fault :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

scared me as he jumped out off the glass, but he was fine.... i waited weeks to get that photo after the first time he did it :roll::roll:

I'm not sure what to do with my girls to keep them cool - have tried the frozen bottled water but they just chew the bottles - I'd be worried about them ingesting the plastic and it causing problems :(

maybe an icepod?

Back