• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More bonding help please - more injuries !!!

Doghouse135

Mama Doe
Well we picked up Todd's new girlfriend from the RSPCA today. They recommended that we put Todd and Sandy in a small run in the garden and observe them for the rest of the day

Well Todd introduced himself by trying to hump her head :shock: and she retaliated by pulling some of his fur out. It looked a spinning mess but neither of them are hurt.

They are both laying at opposite ends of a 4 x 3ft run.

At what point will they be ok to put them in a hutch together ? I don't want to keep putting them together and splitting them up as I should imagine that would make bonding even harder.

We've got a spare 5 x 2 x 2 hutch that neither of them have ever been in before that we could use for tonight but I'm very nervous

All advice welcome - I didn't have this problem before because Trixie and Todd got bonded by accident :roll:

Last edited:
Every time Todd moves she thumps her feet at him - I think they both think they're boss bun at the minute - I hope one of them gives in

I am not an expert but a complet novice when it comes to bonding, we are due to pick up Jimby's wife next saturday but will not be able to start the bonding for a few weeks after that.
I think the time comes that they are ok to be 'living together' when it has been 48 hrs of constant company with no aggressive behaviour.
When they are comfortable with each other, they will wash/groom each other, lay comfortably together, snuggle and not show any bad behaviour.

thanks -they certainly aren't comfortable with each other yet but it's only been an hour :lol: - Haven't buns heard of speed dating ??

Todd is mooching around but everytime he tries to go near her now, she runs away and thumps.

On the plus side, there's no growling charging or spinning again - that's a good thing right ???

Yes that is a good sign but I definatly would not leave them unsupervised yet, things can turn nasty very quickly.

lol, speed dating :lol: If only :lol:

Have they been chasing? Fur pulling and mounting? That is all ways of trying to be top bun.

Yes Todd tried to mount her several times but she span round and round him and pulled chunks of fur out. I think it looked worse because he's moulting heavily at the minute so there was fur flying everywhere.

He's not tried to mount her since but everytime he approaches, she runs away - so would I if a fella did that on the first date - how rude :oops:

He's sniffing her now and she's laying with her head flat on the floor - then she's run round the run thumping

Blimey - pets are stressful

is the run in the garden neutral territory or is it somewhere Todd spends alot of time? If he does spend time there he will think it is his territory which might make the bonding harder, so have them on neutral territory if poss.

Does sound like its going well though as theres no fighting. Just be patient, as it can take some time :roll::lol:

It's as neutral as I could get it because he has access to all the garden on free range. We've lifted up a bench and a storage box to access somewhere that he couldn't have been but it's still very close to his hutch and run.

He seems to be trying to apologise bless him because he is approaching her very gently now but every time he tries, she thumps and runs away.

I really don't like seeing them in such a small space either but I know it's for thier own good.

No, youre doing just fine.Or rather, they are.Scatter some pellets and herbs.
Small spaces are best for bonding....give them more time.Very early days.

It's as neutral as I could get it because he has access to all the garden on free range. We've lifted up a bench and a storage box to access somewhere that he couldn't have been but it's still very close to his hutch and run.

He seems to be trying to apologise bless him because he is approaching her very gently now but every time he tries, she thumps and runs away.

I really don't like seeing them in such a small space either but I know it's for thier own good.

This is what my Mimi did when we first introduced her to Timmy., shed run away from him everytime he approached her, which made him chase her. Eventually she decided to try trusting him and put her head down flat for a groom, which he dutifully gave :love: It took me a few days before I was confident to leave them alone though, although of course it may be quicker for your two :D

Must say, you picked her up today, she doesnt know you or where she is...or the male bunny.Its like "What!!!?????"
Given the circs, all is spiffing really!!!

Must say, you picked her up today, she doesnt know you or where she is...or the male bunny.Its like "What!!!?????"
Given the circs, all is spiffing really!!!

Hee hee - you made me laugh :lol:

Thanks for humouring me - my husband has despaired of me and gone for a lay down :roll:

Todd is flopped out in the run and she's sitting in the hay tray grooming herself :D

She's so beautiful and when things have calmed down, I'll take some pics and show you my new gorgeous girlie :love:

So you very kind ladies, what d'ya think:

If they carry on being indifferent but not fighting, should I put them in the

a) neutral 5ft hutch that I have spare
b) put them in the accomodation that i hope that will share eventually that Todd has been living in - this is the option suggested by the rspca
c) seperate them into seperate hutches but where they can still see each other.

Neither of these options means that I can monitor them overnight though :?

I can't bring them indoors as I already have a houseful and I think it would be too stressful for either of them

I worried like mad when I bonded Mrs B and Roland.Didnt do a thing.Complete ignorance.....she put her head down for a groom...He muttered something like he was beyond all that....the silence was like deafening.Hated it.
But now, they are fine and alls well.
There isnt any fighting. Chasing and fur pulling is normal....they need to work out whos boss.I think theyll be just fine.
Have a cuppa tea with them...sit and enjoy the sun with them...try not to intervene too much although I know its hell.
Nasty fights should be separated.Go on youtube and take a look at what SHOULDNT happen in a bond.If yours arent doing that, then all is going fine.
Thank God for RU...I had masses of help when bonding my lot...and learnt so much.Stay within computer distance and keep us in the loop.xxxxx

So you very kind ladies, what d'ya think:

If they carry on being indifferent but not fighting, should I put them in the

a) neutral 5ft hutch that I have spare
b) put them in the accomodation that i hope that will share eventually that Todd has been living in - this is the option suggested by the rspca
c) seperate them into seperate hutches but where they can still see each other.

Neither of these options means that I can monitor them overnight though :?

I can't bring them indoors as I already have a houseful and I think it would be too stressful for either of them

Have you got a baby monitor???? Pop them in the same hutch...the smaller space the better.Cant you take them (in a hutch) into your bedroom overnight??

I'm afraid the hutch won't fit in my room - blessed triple wardrobes !!

I might camp out though - I've got a small tent and a bottle of Pimms - should be ok :D

I'm afraid the hutch won't fit in my room - blessed triple wardrobes !!

I might camp out though - I've got a small tent and a bottle of Pimms - should be ok :D

What a fine idea!!!! The buns will be totally thrown!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Well I've popped them into the 'bonding' hutch and all seems ok so far. Todd started to try and hump her again but she just runs away. If he lays still though, she comes over to him and then he ruins it all by getting fresh :roll:

Tried to take some piccies but they're not very good because they're playing musical bunnies - when one goes into the bed compartment, the other one comes out and vice versa

When they're settled I'll get some better ones

ToddandSandy003.jpg

ToddandSandy004.jpg

ToddandSandy002.jpg

ToddandSandy001.jpg

ToddandSandy005.jpg

After sleeping in the garden all night and not hearing a sound, I got up this morning to see Todd has a small nick on his ear that has bled and dried. Fair enough I thought, they look reasonably happy now, I'll put them in the run. Big mistake - major fight - when Todd tried to hump her again and now he's got a little nick on his other ear.
I don't want to react too quickly and seperate them too soon but I don't want either of them to get badly hurt.
She obviously won't tolerate him dominating her and if he would leave her alone they'd be fine
Advice please ???

Todd occasionally grooms her ears and then he goes daft and tries to hump her again.
I'm sure there's hope for these two as she will sit and let him groom her. She just won't tolerate any funny business.

Boys just don't get the hint do they ?

I think I'll get someone to bond for me next time - so stressful :lol:

I asked the RSPCA but they don't do it :cry:

Back