• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis

tiger1

Warren Scout
We are having a very worrying bunny time at the minute.Yesterday about 3pm i noticed Ruby had very sticky eyes and that one look stuck shut. I got straight on the phone to vets and they said there next available appointment was 12.15pm sat (today).She is quiet but eating and drinking.Anyway, from 8am yesterday we had a wild rabbit sitting under the car.I thought it was just getting out of the heat. But 6pm i went to have a closer look and its eyes were bloody and swollen shut.I phoned RSPCA.Had to wait an hour for them to ring back and they said they had nobody in our area.Then about another hour later a RSPCA woman said she lived 50miles away but was willing to come and get it. I looked outside and it had gone. It had sat in the same spot all day!!! Now this morning it is back, now waiting for RSPCA to phone me back.Vary worried about Ruby.Her eyes are still not good but is still eating.Angelina has decided now of all times to get fruity and keeps trying to hump Rubys head!!!!!!!!!!Come on RSPCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(:(

Buns are 4 and a half months old and up to date with injections.As we have a river at bottom of garden half the garden is fenced off for the children to play in.Our rabbits are in the childrens half of garden and wildie is sitting near river so can not get anywhere near each other.But i have been looking on internet, and have found that Myxomatosis is spread by insects.We have a very big mosquitoes problem at minute due to being next to river, woods and the heat.If Ruby does have Myxi i don`t know if i should put Angelina in carrier with her.But they are sitting together anyway and she would carm Ruby down.Plus i want Angelina checked just in case.Wondering if vet will tell me off for keeping them together.Keep thinking maybe i should ring vet to see if i can bring them now.But appointment is only in 3 hours.Still waiting to hear back from RSPCA.Feel bad for wildie but really want it taken away from my animals.Don`t know what to do now.I really have a feeling she has Myxomatosis.

Dont panic yet. If shes eating wll and seems bright it may well just be a little infection. If you're really worried call your vet now and explain the situation, they might suggest you take her in now to be on the safe side.

Good luck and loadsa anti-myxo vibes. Let us know how it goes xxxx

hi i have ahd a vaccinated rabbit with myxi dont seperate teh pair as they use the support from their freind at a troubling time, if it is myxi then she needs immediate treatement it is an emergancy, the faster you treat myxi the better the prognosis, she will need metacam, baytril, fucilthalmic or tiacil eye drops, and bio lapis, at the minimum, to check for other signs look for a small nodule under teh nose or lumps on body check for swollen genitals i would be treating as if it is myxi just in case if i can be of any help advice wise please contact me, our rabbit was 10yrs when she caught it and due to early detection she survived she was vaccinated. you are correct it is spread by biting insects so is highly unlikely for the second bunny in a pair to get it from the infected rabbit the way they would contract it is by a mozi or other insect biting infected rabbits then bitign them. hope this makes sense. please keep us updated -kate x

ps if it is myxi in a vaccinated rabbit then dont pts, it can be treated, xx

Ruby has Myxomatosis :cry::cry::cry:Vet said that she was saying just that week she had not seen a case of myxi for 2 years. Ruby is now on all the medication she needs and is back in shed.She looks really poorly.This heat is not helping!!!!!Got to go back next sat and will know by then if she needs to be put down.Last year we did not have any mosquitoes.But because of the river, trees and heat we have a big problem.Which now makes Angelins at high risk.I think i have now made up my mind that if Ruby has to be put down i am going to have Angelina rehomed.Its not fair to put her or another bunny at risk.This is not a healthy place for bunnies.The wildie is still in garden all swollen and pussy.Have not heard anything from RSPCA.I know this is horrible but a friends husband is going to come over and shoot it later.:(:(:(

:cry: that is awful but I guess in the best intrest of the bun, just make sure it is as pain free as possible so not to cause any more suffering.
Is there any way you could capture it and take it to the vets to be PTS in a humane way?

In regards to your bun, just do all you can which I know you are and will.
From what I have heard regarding myxi in vaccinated buns, it can look very horrific but there is still hope, so lots of vibes!

Is there any way you could capture it and take it to the vets to be PTS in a humane way?
catching it and taking it to the vet would be so stressful for a wildie.
Shooting it is probably as humane as you're going to get.

Op, I'm so sorry for you. would it be possible to bring your buns indoors if outside is too dangerous for them?
It takes a very strong person to rehome a loved animal to give it the best life possible and we'll all be here to support you if it comes to that.

Oh no so sorry your bun has myxi :cry: As shes been vaccinated there is still hope, Im sending all the vibes I can muster for her :)

As Rachylou said is there anyway you can catch the bun and get it to the vets? I suppose shooting it would be quicker and less stress for the poor mite, though only if he knows what hes doing :?

Good luck xxx

It would need to be a good clean shot to kill straight away other wise it could cause even more suffering. :cry:

My friends husband is a shooting expert and enters competitions, belongs to a club.I don`t have the space to have rabbits in permantly but i am thinking how i can have them in for the next week.Its too hot out there and would be better to keep an eye on ruby if they were in.:(

Back