• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is anything wrong with Maisy?

BooMoo

Warren Scout
Hi,
Maisy is eating, weeing, pooing and drinking and has just been running about like normal in the garden. But i just don't think shes right... Do your buns have off days?

Sometimes i see her sitting hunched and it worries me but then i look again and shes totally sprawlled out! Would she even be eating if anything was wrong with her tum?

I also read something about fur? She is moulting lots atm. Do you have to clean the hutch and get rid of all the fur often?

Think its the heat.

Last edited:
Hi,
Maisy is eating, weeing, pooing and drinking and has just been running about like normal in the garden. But i just don't think shes right... Do your buns have off days?

Sometimes i see her sitting hunched and it worries me but then i look again and shes totally sprawlled out! Would she even be eating if anything was wrong with her tum?

I also read something about fur? She is moulting lots atm. Do you have to clean the hutch and get rid of all the fur often?

Think its the heat.

It is certainly very hot today. Make sure she stays completely in the shade until evening.

If she is eating and pooping normally then you don't need to worry. Buns will sit in different positions for different reasons - digesting, cooling down etc. Lying stretched out allows bun to cool quicker - greater surface area. Have you got an ice pod or frozen bottle of water that you can pop out for her today and over this hot weekend?
I actually often run a small desk fan out on an extension cable across the lawn when the buns are safely in their run to help keep a breeze blowing over them if they are overheating. Damp towels on the run can help also.

Moulting at this time of year is very normal, losing that thick winter coat because of this heat. The best thing you can do for this is to brush her daily during her moult to help her get rid of it and to prevent her ingesting too much. Although fur is meant to be passed out the other end - heavy moults can slow the gut down.
If you continue to be concerned, or her eating/drinking slows/ceases then pop her to the vet.

Thanks, Yes she has an ice pod (ive been putting it in daily whilst its been hot) and we put the umbrella up :)

I just had a 'feeling' she wasnt her normal self today. She just seemed to be a bit more grouchy, But she is deffinatly eating/pooing etc fine.

I didnt want to take her to the vets today as all i would have been able to say is 'I don't think shes right?!'

Last edited:
It is very likely to be heat related tbh, if she is fine in all other areas I would not worry, just keep an eye on her.

Hi,
As long as shes eating and pooping normally dont worry just yet :) My Timmys moulting at the minute aswell and is grouchier as a result. It puts a big strain on their little bodies, and is probably quite irritating for them, especially in this horrible heat.

Just make sure shes drinking plenty of water, eating loads of hay and groom her regularly to rid the loose hair.

Keep a very close eye on her and if she stops eating or pooping get her to the vets ASAP xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back