• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it best to keep buns in today? HEATWAVE!

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Its meant to be 31 degrees here today :shock:

Buns have been out since 7am and have taken themselves back in to the cupboard where it is cool and dark.

Shall I let them be in there today or let them come and go? What would they do in the wild?

Thank you!

I would wait and see what its like - its not that warm and quite cloudy here at the mo :(

If it does get hot I would give them the choice D B and C tend to lie out in the sun whereas F goes and sits in the shed

really hot here today too let most of mine out early this morning have the last batch out now going to be busy day me thinks fans are on all bunnies have fresh tiles, wet towels out water bottles refilled and ive hosed down the shed roof just put the ice packs in the freezer on stand by not even 11 am yet :roll:
ann x

Here it is considered a heatwave if we have temps in the 40's. Temps in the 30's are lovely in comparison! I usually dish out frozen water bottles when it is really hot and I have the fan going all day. My crew are all indoors (guinea pigs & rabbits) so it makes it a bit easier to control the temps and watch for heatstroke.

ooo err i didnt know it was hotting up again :shock::shock: bunnies are home alone and ive only put the frozen bottles in the cage.

temps generally 27 degrees in the bunny room when i get home from work and it hasnt fussed them at all. i usually put the aircon on first thing so its cool while they munch hay then soon as i get in after work for a few hours..

Alvin is losing hair by the bucket load :shock::shock:

Alvin is losing hair by the bucket load :shock::shock:

Alfie is too. I think I could have knitted jumpers for each and every RU member out of all the hair he's lost this year. :lol::lol:

I would give them the choice Andrea. If it's really hot, they'll no doubt naturally find the coolest place and stay there. ;) Sometimes it's cooler outside than indoors too, depending whether there's a breeze etc.

I personally let them come and go. They love being outside but if it gets too warm for them then they can please themsevles to either go sit in the shade or come back inside :)

I wouldn't know what to say

it's really muggy, sticky weather here today and I'm umming and ahhing as to whether I leave Princes in the house, or put her in the run in the garden :?

Buns have been out since 7am and have taken themselves back in to the cupboard where it is cool and dark.

Shall I let them be in there today or let them come and go? What would they do in the wild?

Thank you!

Heatwave?!??!?! It's cold and raining where I am :(

Thank you!

Blimey, where are you based? Its cloudy and raining here (Lancashire)!

I'd let them come and go if I were you, I cover our run with wet towels when its really hot, sometimes they like to lay in the sunshine but when it gets a bit too much they go back into their hutch where its shaded (and where their ice pods are).

x

Thank you!

In the wild in really hot weather they will mostly stay in their burrows until it is cool enough to surface (evening). Rabbit burrows tend to stay a constant 10 degrees all year round so it's very hard for us to replicate that either indoors or out. If your buns are usually housebuns then my advice would be to keep them indoors where it is a lot cooler usually than outside. Open all the windows up first thing to cool the air inside and then shut them all up and draw curtains - this keeps the house cooler than the air temp outside. Don't open it up again until early evening around 5pm+.

I would let your buns choose where to go - but I would restrict access to any parts of their run/garden that has no shade at all, some domestic buns will lie in the sun and overheat, some fortunately have more sense.
I stupidly let mine outside yesterday around 3pm - far too hot, within about 5 mins they had both overheated and I had to rush them back into the house, wet Nino's ears and put him under a fan he was shaking he was panting so fast. It's whatever your buns are used to that they can cope with. Mine just can't cope outside in this heat (39.6 degrees in the sun it says on our thermometer!) and I don't let them out usually until 6pm+ when it is cooler.

It's the south east where we're all baking! :lol:

I think it totally depends on whether you've got shade. I'd go for outdoors if you've got enough shade for them, but indoors if not.

Back