• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping buns cool....

Wizbit

Alpha Buck
Hi all

Does anyone know where I could get a battery powered fan ideally one that clips onto something?

I used to leave a fan on a timer for the buns when I went out but have heard horror stories about them not being safe so I want to get some battery powered fans. Any ideas would be gratefully received...

using a fan on rabbits is not going to keep them cool with out a wet towel over the area too or spraying the rabbit with water or having a bowel of ice in front of the fan
you can use wet towels over hutches and runs
ice packs you use for camping
tiles you can freeze these too
frozen bottles ( add salt to the water before freezing keeps them frozen longer )
make veggie pops mine love these freeze their fave veg in water and give them for them to nibble on
plenty of shade
dont forget white rabbits put some factor 50 on their ears stops them getting sun burnt and lowers rist of skin cancer
remember rabbits cant sweat or pant to cool them down so we have to help them keep cool so they dont suffer from heat stroke
ann x

I use wet towels too - its amazing what a difference it makes.

i know it does i saved the neighbours rabbit from certain death by throwing a wet towel over its run the other week poor thing was so hot and was laid out thought it was dead but he wasnt he looked so much better within a few minutes after a cool spray down and a towel ;)

I'm worried about leaving Bramble at home today alone in this heat. Daren't leave a fan on him all day incase it rains. His run is covered over with an old shower curtain, and he has a patio umbrella over it too. I'm going to give him a frozen bottle before I leave for work, and he has a bowl of water and his usual water bottle. Sounds like the wet towel trick might be a good idea too.

We still have corragated plastic over the top of his run, which I'm sure isn't helping......wonder if I can take it off before I go.

Anything else I can do? I don't want a repeat of last week. :(

I bought a couple of these a few days ago for my buns... You can get them from Pets at Home for £5.99 (but the website is currently under construction-go and have a look at their home page, it's so cute!!!)

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=1268&pf_id=50949&co=fr

They are £5.99 from PAH, and you simply stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then put them in the rabbit's run/hutch and then *hopefully* they will lie on it if they want to cool down. Mine found it would be more fun to lick it and scratch at it, but I'm sure they'll get the point one day!!
ps. The ice pods are simply big ice packs, but the shape of them makes it more comfortable for the buns to lie on ;)

Plastic now off, frozen bottle in, wet towels about to go over......might pop home later to see how he is.......might risk fan too. Fingers crossed he will be okay.

Thanks for all of your replies. Thanks jazzywoo, I hadn't heard about the wet towel thing so I will try that and also the veggie pops. They are indoor buns and I keep the blackout blinds more or less shut and leave the window open enough to get some air in. Our house keeps quite cool luckily but they do love the breeze of a fan.

Those ice pods look great KTJ but unfortunately, I have tried something similar and they just attacked it and then sat at the other end of the room!! Aren't they funny that they just don't get that we are trying to help them sometimes!?

Honestly, most people love this weather but always dread it as I am constantly worrying about the buns!

Thanks again everyone... xx

Boss let me pop home yesterday to check on Bramble! He was fine, I re wet the towels and left the fan on for him. Hope he stays as cool today.

I bought a couple of these a few days ago for my buns... You can get them from Pets at Home for £5.99 (but the website is currently under construction-go and have a look at their home page, it's so cute!!!)

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=1268&pf_id=50949&co=fr

They are £5.99 from PAH, and you simply stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then put them in the rabbit's run/hutch and then *hopefully* they will lie on it if they want to cool down. Mine found it would be more fun to lick it and scratch at it, but I'm sure they'll get the point one day!!
ps. The ice pods are simply big ice packs, but the shape of them makes it more comfortable for the buns to lie on ;)

Is that £9.99 for one ice pod at Pet Planet?!!! I cant beleive the price they are quoting as the rrp either as if that is the rrp for one they are a long way off mark and misleading folk.

Back