• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

could he have a wifey?

breeze

Mama Doe
our little dude went the vets the other day and he does have syphilis(thanks jane).hes on a course of baytril for 5 days.now could he have a wife or will he carry the disease forever or does it go completely?after an examination he is neutered so can get a wife soon but worried incase she could catch it too.any advice be grateful:)

Baytril will have no effect on syphilis. Penicillin is the ONLY treatment. 3x once weekly injections.

yep you need to go back to your vet and ask for refund for the treatment of Baytril as will not treat the disease at all
Penicillin injections are needed and your vet SHOULD know that

hope your bun improves..and with the right meds he should fully recover and then can be bonded

Tinkerbell had Syphillis, had a course of Penicillin and it cleared up. She was bonded later on with Simba :D

I agree with the others - baytril doesn't treat syphillis and the well accepted and very effective bunny treatment for syphillis is penicillin injections. Personally I would look around for another vet as if your vet doesn't know that and isn't confident at prescribing 'off licence' drugs, I would worry about their general ability with bunnies.

I do hope you manage to get her sorted - maybe try some ringing around or ask on here to see if you can find another practice which is more competent with bunnies...and then ask them for a refund as they've prescribed you a treatment for syphillis which doesn't treat syphillis!

But once it's been treated and cleared up, I don't see any reason why he can't be neutered as normal and then bonded. Make sure you disinfect everywhere really thoroughly just in case any of the syphillis organisms are still around his house, just to make sure he doesn't manage to reinfect himself once he's being treated.

I agree with the others - baytril doesn't treat syphillis and the well accepted and very effective bunny treatment for syphillis is penicillin injections. Personally I would look around for another vet as if your vet doesn't know that and isn't confident at prescribing 'off licence' drugs, I would worry about their general ability with bunnies.

I do hope you manage to get her sorted - maybe try some ringing around or ask on here to see if you can find another practice which is more competent with bunnies...and then ask them for a refund as they've prescribed you a treatment for syphillis which doesn't treat syphillis!

But once it's been treated and cleared up, I don't see any reason why he can't be neutered as normal and then bonded. Make sure you disinfect everywhere really thoroughly just in case any of the syphillis organisms are still around his house, just to make sure he doesn't manage to reinfect himself once he's being treated.

iv rang the vet and asked why penicillin wasnt pescribed.he said its an awkward drug for rabbits but im takin bun back on monday to a different vet.how will he reifest himself?can other buns catch it even though they in seperate hutchs?hes got no furry teabags so we think hes already neutered?

iv rang the vet and asked why penicillin wasnt pescribed.he said its an awkward drug for rabbits but im takin bun back on monday to a different vet.how will he reifest himself?can other buns catch it even though they in seperate hutchs?hes got no furry teabags so we think hes already neutered?

Well yes your vet is right that in some ways it is an awkward drug for rabbits (in particular it MUST be injected, never given orally) - but nevertheless it's the right drug for some specific situations and syphillis is one of them! Plenty of people regularly use injected penicillin without a problem, and syphillis is treated usually only once a week so it's not as if it's every day or every other day which is when penicillin can get a bit more risky.

It is possible that other buns could catch it - it depends how 'in contact' they are - can they sniff each other through the bars? Do they share exercise space? It is quite infectious so if there is any direct bunny to bunny contact it's possible that it has been passed across; less so if they share communal things but still a possibility. The difficult thing is that its incubation is 12 weeks so it might take a while before you know whether any of the others have picked it up, and if so they may well have passed it back again by then. I would always ask for any buns that have been in direct contact at least to be treated as well.

thanks.theres been no contact what so ever as with him being new hes still in quarentine at other end of garden

Back